• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
The multicontroller can create pretty random and larger flow(GPH) than two 1" sea swirls can. With two tunzes pointing at an intercepting angle the flow direction will be very random once the flow crashes into each other while the speed of the flow is being adjusted by the controller. You can also set it so the flow slows down to a lower level when the lights goes out in the tank.

With the sea swirls, all you are doing is shifting the flow in a 90 degree pattern, you can not control the speed of the flow.

gnatp2

Greek god
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The multicontroller can create pretty random and larger flow(GPH) than two 1" sea swirls can. With two tunzes pointing at an intercepting angle the flow direction will be very random once the flow crashes into each other while the speed of the flow is being adjusted by the controller. You can also set it so the flow slows down to a lower level when the lights goes out in the tank.

With the sea swirls, all you are doing is shifting the flow in a 90 degree pattern, you can not control the speed of the flow.

All right, well what would you think of having 1 sea swirl and the standard returns run from the sump from a single pump. (i'll end up having much less gph running through them than my orig plan though. probably 1200 gph between the standard returns and the sea swirl). And having 2 Tunze streams with a multicontroller? Would this be able to provide optimal random flow? Plus, this will probably only be slightly more expensive than my orig plan since I won't have to spend 200$ on the dart pump and 100$ on all the pvc parts.

Also, what exact tunze model would you recommend?

Nate

Last edited:

gnatp2

Greek god
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I would go for a pair of 6100 and a 7095 controller, skip the SeaSwirl if you have not spend the $$ on it yet.

Allright done... (I actually picked some up yesterday from Marcin on MR)... I must admit that I'm very surprised by their power and range of flow. So surprised by their power that I only have them set at 30%. They are configured in the rear corners of my tank pointed at the front center glass. What would you recommend as the optimal configuration for a 120g 4x2x2 tank with about a 2" sandbed (i've notice that my sandbed is getting moved around quite a bit. )

Thanks,
Nate

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Nate, since I also have a sandbed, I didn't put them up against the back wall. What I did was put them up high on the side glass pionted at eachother. This allowed me to boost up the flow with little sand movement. Good choice on going with the Tunze.

gnatp2

Greek god
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Nate, since I also have a sandbed, I didn't put them up against the back wall. What I did was put them up high on the side glass pionted at eachother. This allowed me to boost up the flow with little sand movement. Good choice on going with the Tunze.

Ah, good idea! What type of power setting did you go with? I'm a little scared of causing total choas in the tank. Also, I'm guessing that the Interval 1 setting would probably be best for this at about a 5 second interval?

Nate

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I'm set on interval 2. 1 pump is set at 30% to 100%. The other is at minimum to 80%. Keep in mind, mine is a 6 foot 180 gallon. If your running the 4 foot 120 gallon, maybe you can knock it back a little bit, say have 1 pump 10% to 60% and have the other minimum to 50%. Make your adjustments slow.

gnatp2

Greek god
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Thought I'd give an update of how things are going.

After going with the Tunze streams, I must say that the tank is doing much better with the additional flow. I have had sps corals in my tank for about the past 6 months with very little growth success, but just after a week of adding these Tunzes I've already noticed some new growth on some of my corals. The fish also seem much happier with the additional flow. I ended up putting the 2 units in the rear corners of my tank both aimed at the front glass. I have them set on Interval 1 (pumps alternate on/off) on a 15 second basis and at 30-50% power.

Thanks to all for all your help!
Nate

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: