• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

gnatp2

Greek god
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Here are my plans for running 2 1" Sea swirls on my 120g tank with a Sequence Dart pump. Let me know what you guys think.

closedloopdualseaswirlsinglepump2.JPG

Below is a more detailed breakout of the pump area.

closedloopdualseaswirlsinglepump2pumpareadetail_855926.JPG

Let me know if you guys notice anything majorly wrong or even small critiques. Thanks very much!,
Nate

gnatp2

Greek god
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
what's the reason for the 2 intakes?

#1 For stability. I was going to have this contraption hanging off the back of my tank and it seemed like it would be more balanced that way.

#2 To ensure that there was plenty of unrestricted flow going into the Dart pump. I could only find 1.5" size screen intakes from marinedepot. So I figured I would need 2 intakes to keep up with the Dart's water demand. http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=FT8632

#3 I'm also scared of having critters get sucked into the intakes, so if i have 2 intakes I figured there would be less suction and therefore less risk.

Nate

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
#1 For stability. I was going to have this contraption hanging off the back of my tank and it seemed like it would be more balanced that way.

#2 To ensure that there was plenty of unrestricted flow going into the Dart pump. I could only find 1.5" size screen intakes from marinedepot. So I figured I would need 2 intakes to keep up with the Dart's water demand. http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=FT8632

#3 I'm also scared of having critters get sucked into the intakes, so if i have 2 intakes I figured there would be less suction and therefore less risk.

Nate
nice plan, but have you consider what it would look like to have 2- 1 1/2" pipes going in the tank. just a suggestion. also will they be white pvc or sch 80 (grey).

gnatp2

Greek god
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
nice plan, but have you consider what it would look like to have 2- 1 1/2" pipes going in the tank. just a suggestion. also will they be white pvc or sch 80 (grey).

Yeah, I was planning on going with grey, but I still will have 2 nice white eyesores in the tank because of the 1.5" couplers.... although I'm hoping that some coralline algae will help with that over time.

Nate

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
Yeah, I was planning on going with grey, but I still will have 2 nice white eyesores in the tank because of the 1.5" couplers.... although I'm hoping that some coralline algae will help with that over time.

Nate
ys, the reason i said that is because i had a ocean motion 4way and i was very disappointed with the way it looked. so much that i sold them and went with tunze streams.

gnatp2

Greek god
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Nate,
is there a sump on the tank?
if so what's the return pump now?

I have 2 corner overflows with the typical dual pipe return. From my sump I have a mag9 hooked up to these 2 standard returns via a SCWD wavemaker for oscillating flow. I've been told several times that the corner overflows should be able to handle another 1000-2000 gph, but for some reason they just can't keep up up with it. I really would like to run the sea swirls from my sump, but my overflows can't quite handle it.

Nate

gnatp2

Greek god
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I would eleminate as many 90' ells on the intake side as possible, they produce micro bubbles, use Spa flex.

What is the 1.5 inch ball valve on the right suction side for? Nothing is connected to it.

I'm not too familiar with Spa flex. Is this just the typical flexible pvc piping? If I was to go with Spa flex, would you use any connectors/fittings whatsoever on the intakes or just hook it straight into the 2" T that feeds the pump? Also, 1 reason I had dual intakes was for stability, I'm guessing that the spa flex would be flimsy?

The ball valve at the bottom is to drain the closed loop if ever need be. You would just need to close off the 2 ball valves closer to the sea swirls and then open that bottom valve to drain the water into a bucket. I figured that this would be helpful while servicing the pump or anything on the closed loop.

Thanks,
Nate

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
If you drain it, how are you going to prime it? also, how are you going to prime it to begin with?

Also, once you open that valve the water in the tank will drain down to the first intake hole. By your drawing that's a lot of water.

B

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Nate, did you already purchase all of this equipment? Can you drill holes for the intakes?
If not, drop the whloe idea and put in a couple of tunzes on a controller. Although your plan is functional, it's an eye-sore and seems a little complicated. Even with ridgid PVC, your going to get vibration on those returns and over time, that may cause a leak in the joints. And as Bret said, how are you going to prime the pump?

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Looks like the cap on the left suction side is reserved to prime the pump.

I would put the drain valve on the pressure side of the pump, you can both drain(with the pump off) or pump the water out of the system.

gnatp2

Greek god
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
If you drain it, how are you going to prime it? also, how are you going to prime it to begin with?

Also, once you open that valve the water in the tank will drain down to the first intake hole. By your drawing that's a lot of water.

B

HAH. YES!! good point... I definately overlooked that. I figure by my drawing, I better plan on having about a 50g bucket ready. I'll have to rework something there.

Priming it shouldn't be a problem. That's why I have that T fitting on the uppermost part of the left intake. I can just take that cap off and dump some water in there.

Nate

gnatp2

Greek god
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Nate, did you already purchase all of this equipment? Can you drill holes for the intakes?
If not, drop the whloe idea and put in a couple of tunzes on a controller. Although your plan is functional, it's an eye-sore and seems a little complicated. Even with ridgid PVC, your going to get vibration on those returns and over time, that may cause a leak in the joints. And as Bret said, how are you going to prime the pump?

Yes, I have considered Tunze's, but I must admit that I'm partial to the sea swirls. 2 sea swirls seem to create more random flow IMO especially when you "cross the streams". And the fact that they swivel just seems like it must have a greater coverage area.

Just what I think...although I'm definately not a pro.
Nate

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
HAH. YES!! good point... I definately overlooked that. I figure by my drawing, I better plan on having about a 50g bucket ready. I'll have to rework something there.

Priming it shouldn't be a problem. That's why I have that T fitting on the uppermost part of the left intake. I can just take that cap off and dump some water in there.

Nate

Forgot to mention you won't break the siphon if the drain valve is on the pressure side and you don't pump the water below siphon intakes.

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
As someone who is running tunzes and seaswirls on the same tank, tunzes are more effective IMO. I love my seaswirls and wouldn't get rid of them. Tunzes just cover a wider range and the controllers give you the waving effect. I really like closed loops, but I still fell you would be better off if you can drill in the intakes. Simplicity has high value in this hobby.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
As someone who is running tunzes and seaswirls on the same tank, tunzes are more effective IMO. I love my seaswirls and wouldn't get rid of them. Tunzes just cover a wider range and the controllers give you the waving effect. I really like closed loops, but I still fell you would be better off if you can drill in the intakes. Simplicity has high value in this hobby.

I agree with the your opinion on the Tunzes. But for some, they feel a closed loop is a cheaper way to go:). I may not necessary agree with that in a long term operating cost bases.

gnatp2

Greek god
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I agree with the your opinion on the Tunzes. But for some, they feel a closed loop is a cheaper way to go:). I may not necessary agree with that in a long term operating cost bases.

Ok, I'll bite.... How could 2 Tunze's on a controller provide as much random flow as 2 sea swirls when the sea swirls are swinging back and forth? You could be right, but I just can't get this justified in my head.

Also, this sea swirl setup will for sure be about the same cost as a couple Tunze's with a controller. 200$ pump, 360$ of sea swirls and 100$ish on plumbing parts... So I'm definately not going this route because of a cost benefit.

Nate

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: