• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

vanceny

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
In my case, I have about 5 gazillion maxijets hanging around collecting dust (and I suspect many folks do too) so I'm not too concerned. I understand your point Pierce, but how often do Maxijets break? If you already own the pump its not a bad upgrade in my opinion. RD

I agree, I modded a maxijet 1200 with the kit from mjomds for $25 and it kicks a$$. The maxijet has to be at least 3 years old so if it breaks, no worries. You get enough parts with the kit to make at least 2 mods if you purchase an additional shroud ($12), centering cap($5) and prop ($2.50).

So if you have some spare maxijets then for $45 you can have tons of flow from a low wattage pump. These have been rated at RC at about 2000 gallons.

V.

Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I've got one of those hydor FLO attachments on a maxijet. while it's better than the default firehose setting, it's nowhere near as good as a maximod

(btw....why was this thread moved from general discussion to DIY? this is a discussion of available products )

vanceny

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Still looking for the page but I found a video clip that shows its power. Looks like the guy may have attached an air pump so you could see the flow better. Its dispearsed and wide. Absolutely Awesome.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7159313810789461735

Here's a link to mjmods that mentions the gph. Hard to completely trust them since they are selling the mods.

http://www.mjmods.com/index.php?main_page=index

And Page 1 of the thread. Keep in mind the mod has evolved since the first post and has been split 4 times.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=717034&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

I'll keep looking for the I'm on page 6 of the second split.

O

Oceanflo

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Hello,
Saw your thread and thought i would chime in.

A few things on flow, price and why ours is so expensive....

Flow:
There is a lot of speculation about the actual flow and output. We are in the process of having velocity testing done that will be published soon that will give us some test proven numbers. Hopefully that will give people a better idea of our kits actual flow and substantiate our claims.

I will say, there is a place for the DIY kits and then there is ours.
MJmods (met him at MACNA, really nice guy) makes a kit that you assemble yourself. Hats off to him to provide this to people who are happy with its quality and the unknown outcome. do keep in mind his kit and ours are VERY Different in design. Most people just assume they are the same.

Cost:
as for price, its such a painful topic. Especially seeing how expensive ours has been and still is...
Our Kits are done on a CNC machine out of solid stock. This kills us on price, but allows us to make sure the design is right every time. One of our biggest selling points is reliability. Measuring to the thousandths gets expensive. We are looking into molds, but until then we are stuck with the high cost of USA Machine shop labor rates.

Why:
The propeller is very different than the MJmods kit allowing it to run on a wave maker and thus enabling us to warranty them for a year. Our prop assembly slide is keyed to the magnet and center bored for balance. The prop assembly is not fixed to the magnet assembly like all the other mod kits out there. Nor is it a standard Prop size. This makes them extremely quiet, and very reliable.

There are people who are happy to build their own, tinker and tune it just right so it works for them. Our kit is not for them.

Our kit is an out of the box, no fuss, reliable alternative to those who don't want to deal with all the hassles of making it.

as MJmods said at MACNA... There are just as many people who want one already made as there is willing to build it.

I also wanted to speak to the Tunze Nanostreams.
Tunze makes a great product and has a fantastic track record. No denying that.
I am sure the nanostreams are going to be quite the competition, But its tough to compare flow.
We often display our 1200 mods against the 6100 streams that are 3x that of the nano stream. Can the nanostream run on a wavemaker? I think the controllable one was close to 100.00 or more.
If Tunze is able to actually pull in their deliveries and meet demand unlike the history with the streams, they will provide a much more difficult market.
In the end its what works for you. I am sure I’ll get some flame for posting but I thought it would help to add a voice to the product.

BTW nice job with the logo sitckers at MACNA.
They were everywhere….

vanceny

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Finally found the page with the umscientific testing done with these mods. The results show ~ 1900 gph for the maxijet 1200 and ~ 1600 for the maxijet 900.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=871507&perpage=25&pagenumber=20

There is definitely some tinkering that needs to be done with the mjmods kit but if your doing a diy project, tinkering is all part of the process. Its little mods and diy that are a big part of the hobby for me. Gazing through the glass is just a part of it.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
In the end its what works for you. I am sure I?ll get some flame for posting but I thought it would help to add a voice to the product.

Flame?!!? Are you kidding?:splitspin This site has always welcomed vendors to join our community and represent their products directly to our members.

Your post was extremely informative, detailed and honest. I'm sure you'll be a welcomed addition to the site!

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs!! :splitspin:flower::birthday::biggrinpa

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: