Semi finished reactor
ga8yqe8y.jpg

Basically finished reactor, just missing the cylindrical heat sink
y2a8ybyv.jpg

Nooice tagging along.will this light be great for growing
Blue ochtode Macroalgae

Peeled back the aluminum foil ghetto reflector lol so you guys can see the inside. I made the 2 clear plenums/diffuser plates using a 4" holesaw and made about 8 holes in each all around
du4a4ura.jpg

As you mentioned whether or not it will grow blue ochtodes, I don't have any of that so idk but I did put some dragon's breath algae in the bottom section to see how it grows. Figured it grows much slower than chaeto so I won't have to reach for it for a while
9apy4y9a.jpg

C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
It looks very professional, good job on it. I am not sure how reflective aluminum foil is compared to mylar. Mylar is something you can look into to wrap around the reactor. It's on the back of some wrapping paper, balloons or you can just buy a survival blanket.

I am looking forward to seeing the growth.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Cu455

Rating - 98.9%
180   2   0
You have a good base to work with. You should try growing it without the foil. If it starts to grow the foil was probably the issue. Maybe it got hot or the wrinkles in the foil redirect light and caused burning. If the algae still doesn't grow add a dome cfl light from the outside. If it starts to grow the lighting is the issue.

Just keep tweaking it. No need to start over.

You have a good base to work with. You should try growing it without the foil. If it starts to grow the foil was probably the issue. Maybe it got hot or the wrinkles in the foil redirect light and caused burning. If the algae still doesn't grow add a dome cfl light from the outside. If it starts to grow the lighting is the issue.

Just keep tweaking it. No need to start over.

Yeah I think you're right about the foil, that may have over done it. I just need to clean out the reactor a bit, got a bunch of unwanted algae in it and honestly the chaeto looks like a nightmare so I'll just take a bit from my fuge to put into it

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: