fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
The shorter the bulb the more they are overdriven, at least with icecap ballasts. You NEED (not optional) to run a fan over the bulb length wise or the color will wander and the bulb will go quickly.

Overdriven they are SUPER bright but the color does change a little bit.

techreef

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I overdrive 4 of my 6 T5 bulbs w/ an IC ballast. Fritz is right on target. And I get the same info directly from the guys at IceCap re: how to set up the fan in the light canopy. Overdriving generates more heat from the bulb than when you push normal loads through them. With the fan cooling the overdriven bulbs, they say that the life of the bulbs is not shortened.

fritz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
OH! I didn't catch that your four footers were only 28watts(NO), not 53watts (HO)
I would NOT overdrive those bulbs!!!!!!! Well actually I would overdrive them but from behind plexiglass and with a video camera.

Last edited:

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
OH! I didn't catch that your four footers were only 28watts(NO), not 54watts (HO)
I would NOT overdrive those bulbs!!!!!!! Well actually I would overdrive them but from behind plexiglass and with a video camera.

Why would you say that? You're making it sound like its going to explode. I have a NO T5 bulb on a HO Triad ballast and its working fine on my fuge. :sgrin:

techreef

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm, i didn't know that there was a difference w/ overdriving short vs. longer bulbs. guess i figure as long as you're not using the same size ballast as a 54W setup to drive the 28W setup, what's the harm?

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
hmm, i didn't know that there was a difference w/ overdriving short vs. longer bulbs. guess i figure as long as you're not using the same size ballast as a 54W setup to drive the 28W setup, what's the harm?

I dont know what you mean about short vs. longer bulbs. They are overdriven from the ballast. And you would use a the same size ballast as a 54W setup to drive the 28W setup, then its being overdriven. Otherwise, its just another NO(normal output) setup

fritz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
no no no you guys are missing what I'm saying.

Firstly when someone says "overdriving T5s" I assume we're talking about overdriving HO T5s with an Icecap ballast. If you want to overdrive NO T5s to HO wattage, that's silly IMO. HO T5s cost about the same and an electronic T5 ballast is about $12. So why bother?

Now if you run a 48" 28watt bulb on an icecap ballast you will push about 85watts through that bulb. almost 4X the wattage the bulb was designed to carry. Yeah damn straight I'm going to be out of it's exploding range, just in case. This is coming from someone who used to break fluorescent tubes over people's head when they weren't looking. Trust me you don't want to be up close to an exploding tube, wide eyed going "ooooh"

:)

Now what I mean by shorter or long is, suppose you have an icecap 660. You push about 85 watts per circuit or channel (I'm no electrician) and say you have it setup to fire four bulbs. If these 4 bulbs are 4 foot bulbs great, if the are two foot bulbs or three foot bulbs you are still pushing 85 watts through each of one them!

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Fritz,
would you be kind enough to give me a link to the inexpensive $12 ballast. I want to find the spec of it.

BTW, anyone has a 54W 4" bulb laying around and remember how bright it should be when hooked up to a 54w ballast? I would like to bring my 28W fixture to try it with the 54W bulbs and compare the brightness.

Last edited:

MO~IDOL

I Work Hard For Color!
Vendor
Rating - 100%
643   0   0
BTW, anyone has a 54W 4" bulb laying around and remember how bright it should be when hooked up to a 5w ballast?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

I would like to bring my 28W fixture to try it with the 54W bulbs and compare the brightness.[/QUOTE]

bring it to my house we'll compare it side by side. I believe that's the only way to compare...not from memory

btw: what color & K range are your bulb?

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
BTW, anyone has a 54W 4" bulb laying around and remember how bright it should be when hooked up to a 5w ballast?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

I would like to bring my 28W fixture to try it with the 54W bulbs and compare the brightness.

bring it to my house we'll compare it side by side. I believe that's the only way to compare...not from memory

btw: what color & K range are your bulb?[/quote]

54W ballast I mean

mine are 10,000K

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: