ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
So I got really tired of holding a airline tube in the tank or tying rubber bands to a rock to hold the tubing in the tank so i decided to look online and see what they had to offer for trip acclimation, I saw a item that was simple hard tubing connected to so to soft tubing that had air control valve on the end to control the drips
The company that was selling this was selling it for about $15 and after taking a look at the picture I figured I could do this myself for free with stuff that I already had

I had 3/16" rigid tubing
Some airline tubing
And a air valve

The 2 "tools" i used was
A lighter
A piece of foil balled up and made into a u shape (big enough to fit over the brace on top of the tank)

First I measured out how much I want in the tank I wanted about 3 inches
I cut a 12 inch piece of rigid tubing
Next I started heating the rigid tubing with the lighter (using the blue part of the flame and moving it back and forth slowly about 4 inches) 3 inches away from the end of the tubing
When i saw that the tubing started going limp i placed it on the foil and formed a u shape making sure not to pinch the rigid tubing held it in place for about 30 seconds so it can harden
Then I connected the soft tubing to the other end
Connected a air valve to the other end of the soft tubing
And there you go a drip acclimation kit

Since I wanted more than one I decided to make more I purchased the rigid tubing the soft tubing and more air valves and made some more here are some photos and links to what i purchased to make them
if its to complicated for you i can make it for you for free you would have to buy the materials

One rigid tube makes 3 short (good enough for me) U shaped tubes

7bfd9b9b3072298f51193b86d4a67cab.jpg

3379e40787f6871e171dd36b718fa3eb.jpg

1ec3733b771b4196241487067b65d745.jpg

f5ac2f0af1008b94ceb54fea8e0dcc68.jpg

64419d63e3e688060115fcf8cc4c61ee.jpg

Rigid 3/16 in by 3 ft Tubing
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002APYRM

Soft tubing
http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=170860193846

Air valve
http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=182050759960

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
You are probably talking about the Innovative Marine kit which I am a fan of. You made it just as nice as if not nicer good job. I usually usually just pour out most of the water from the bag, roll down the top to create an air pocket and float the fish. This way I can just slowly add water at my leisure and let everyone see each other.

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
You are probably talking about the Innovative Marine kit which I am a fan of. You made it just as nice as if not nicer good job. I usually usually just pour out most of the water from the bag, roll down the top to create an air pocket and float the fish. This way I can just slowly add water at my leisure and let everyone see each other.

I don't remember the brand but when purchasing all the things it comes out to about $2.35 each and thats if you don't have all the stuff which most of us in the hobby do

I was always scared of the bag tipping into the tank or the fish getting scared and jumping so i stayed away from that method

I temperature acclimate them usually at dusk They get to see each other then drip by that time its night so the new guy gets to explore

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Yeh I have definitely had the bag tip before. Really like your write up with links. There should be a DIY forum here (or maybe there is) where things like this get stickied.

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
This is posted in DIY part of the forum and whoever stickys threads they can and should everyone in the hobby acclimates whether you're a new or you have many years under your belt i feel everyone could get use out of this

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: