Rating - 100%
26   0   0
did they used to be Mr. Plastic? They are good I forget their new name (little more expensive than some of the other places we have used even out west). Just saw this thread for the first time and I am pretty sure that there is a clear mesh that someone makes. Even though there haven't been any problems with the black mesh so far I'd assume that the clear wouldn't absorb as much heat and maybe last longer.....in the ........long........run. Was going to build one for my 120 in my new office which is also euro braced and has a lip built in for the glass tops. I was considering using acrylic dowels for the supports though since most of the runs would be short and they would be sitting on a lip anyway. Maybe wrap the netting around a little and run a bead of weldon down the sides. Also, for the longer runs across tanks I was thinking if you take the thicker acrylic sheets and put them vertical with angled pieces for braces you could get more support out of them without them bowing.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Don't know if they were ever know by another name..they are ARV Precision Mfg in E. Farmingdale (just off 110), and I'm pleased with his pricing.
The black netting that I've been using has UV inhibitors and I've seen no stretching or aging so far. The netting is a 'fine' mesh and readily available and priced right ...so I haven't researched the clear variety as of yet.
It's ok by me if it absorbs heat! lol

Dowels as in round ones? They would be a pain to bond in the corners.
You'd need to use the thicker Weldon or Craftics cement to attach the netting to the dowels. Maybe you could use the square rods (my place carries them) but you'll still need to glue the extra piece in the corners as corners will not hold if simply butted & glued together..so I was instructed by the acrylic people).
I understand your point regarding the angled piece in the corners but so far all that I have build haven't had any sagging or support issues. Most tanks that have a span of 24" are fine with the 3/4" edging (it ends up being 1/4" inch thick), and any tanks that are long in length usually have a 2nd brace to rest the covers on (or I add a brace to span the width of the tank like I did with the one for Pratt --Randy, if you're around, can you take a pic of that cover..I forgot to :eek:)

I will be posting pics of the new cover I'm making for the 120 :)

JHOV2324

Love da Reef-er
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
well to save me time you should make mine too :biggrin:

I can pay you with a handsome reward...which is myself...:flirt:
I'd take you to a lovely restaurant (wendy's/tacobell)...we can then go and watch a nice movie at my place...i just got the simpsons on bootleg..and then we can finish the night off with a happy ending a nice cab ride home...let me know if your interested....

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Oh Jesus..no, not you...lmao
Hard to pass up an offer like that..and I can almost taste the Taco Bell...but I must say..

NOT a snowballs chance in hell.
(was I yelling?)
:cheekkiss

If you can wait til next week, I can pick up the acrylic for ya..sending you a PM.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Dmitry - it's called Pond Netting and they do sell it in different sized packages. It's sold in the Pond Dept of the stores, though all Ace stores don't have that section. PM me & I'll send you a piece.

I made the mesh cover for my new 120 this week and added a twist...
In the rear corners I added extra bracing and make a small slice in the netting so that I could get the plugs through for my PH's, probes & whatnot. I pulled the netting very tightly when I did these so that it would close back up after the pulg/probe was pushed through..and the fish can't get through there!

I especially like this one since it lays so flat on the top of the tank. In case you're wondering, yes, I do have a canopy (...or will when I finally build it this weekend) but I frequently tank the canopy off because I can't keep my hands out of the tank...and I don't want to have to worry about my fish jumping onto a light or lip in the canopy.

BEST part about this new cover - there is NO SHADOW!!!!!!!!!!! :)

MeshCover.jpg

FeedingDoor.jpg

WireTrap.jpg

WireTrap2.jpg

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Thanks A :)
Marc it is glued in place, you can use either the thicker Weldon...I think it's # 16, or I used Craftics # 33 that my acrylic place sells. You need to clamp it in place until it sets.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Time for an update...
The supplier I mentioned in an earlier post is NO LONGER cutting the acrylic into the strips, he claims it is too dangerous and hit me with prices that were beyond a rip off to discourage it.
I found another supplier but his prices are on the high side unless I buy a full sheet. So unless a bunch of people want to get in on this, I won't be making any more covers.

I did make a cover for Awilda's 20g tank..she has the pics up on her tank thread. There are a couple more covers on Randy's tanks at Pratt..if you happen to visit over there. And of course there are pics on my tank threads.

Last night I finally got to make one for Bigsink's 75g tank (sorry for the delay John!) and wanted to share a few more pics here with some of the changes that I've added to the covers to make them more user friendly....

My old 75 is still here so it was easy to do the measuring for John's tank. He'd told me he has 2 plugs from his PH's and he has corals he needs to spot feed so I added doors to his cover(s).

It's best to use a square when you are aligning the outer edges of the frame & doors
PA180030.jpg

I got some great new little clamps :)
PA180039.jpg

The following are the changes I have made to the covers.
All of the corners are joined by adding 1/16" pieces of acrylic since you cannot butt 2 pieces of acrylic this thin & glue them (see these in the earlier pics). Since I only had these pieces in the corners I found the covers were sagging slightly (by 1/16") over time along the long side of the cover. I have now added a few extra pieces of acrylic along those edges for support (see pieces marked # 2 in pics)

Item maked # 1 is the corner cut outs for power cords to go through the cover. A simple slice gets made in the netting, the power cord slide through and the netting closes back up. It makes a nice neat appearance.
I'm doing these with 1 hole in each corner so if anything is added to the tank there is space to put the cords through.
PA180033.jpg

Here is a pics of one of the covers I made for John fitted on my old 75g. It 'sits' on the inner channel of the frame and flush with the top of the tank.
PA190045.jpg

Here is the pic of the cover I made for Awildas 20g
10-7-200720gMiniReef004_360x480.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
John..very happy that you like it. Call my cell on Saturday during the day..we'll work something out for Sunday morning :)

Crox...I have (hopefully) just enough pieces left to do a cover I promised to Lissa and a new one for my 33 cube. If you can find a good supplier for the acrylic (that will cut it to the 3/4 inch width needed)..sure I'd build one for you. (there is a fee for my time...)

crox99

Audi Sport
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
John..very happy that you like it. Call my cell on Saturday during the day..we'll work something out for Sunday morning :)

Crox...I have (hopefully) just enough pieces left to do a cover I promised to Lissa and a new one for my 33 cube. If you can find a good supplier for the acrylic (that will cut it to the 3/4 inch width needed)..sure I'd build one for you. (there is a fee for my time...)

I am working on finding a cheap vendor......

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Kathy, how again are you connecting the mesh to the acrylic?

Sorry I missed your question Marc...Gravity & I use either Weldon # 16 or Craftics # 33 glue when I sandwich the netting between the 3/16" & 1/16" pieces of arcylic. The netting is very thin (but strong!)
That's what all those little clamps are busy holding til it's dry. :)

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: