• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Brian,

I've got 25" inside my cabinet to work with. What size tube should I get to leave room for plumbing and "manuvering"?

Although I'm going to get all the "instructor provides" parts from you I'm still curious about some items on the list.

What are John Guest fittings?

What is a "close nipple". I'm not familiar with the term.

What is "Cobraflex"?

I got a good amount of double sided tape I used a lot in woodworking. Before you peel off the protective covering, it's about the thickness of masking tape, but a little thinner (obviously - duh) after both sides of the stick tape are exposed. Is that the same thing as "carpet tape" you listed?

I'mlso glad to see the class schedule looks like it'll work well for me.

Thanks.
Hal

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a parts question also. What does MNPT and FNPT stand for?

Louey

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Louey,

I'm sure Brian will jump in here soon, but in the meantime, here's my understanding of the acronyms.

MNPT - male threaded fitting using National Pipe Thread size (as opposed to something like garden hose threading)

FNPT - female threaded fitting using National Pipe Thread

Take care,
Hal

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MNPT - male threaded fitting using National Pipe Thread size (as opposed to something like garden hose threading)

FNPT - female threaded fitting using National Pipe Thread
Yep, good enough.

What are John Guest fittings?

What is a "close nipple". I'm not familiar with the term.

What is "Cobraflex"?
John Guest fittings re quick-connect and release fittings. http://www.johnguest.com/

A close nipple is a threaded PCV piece, used to attach two FNPT parts together.

Cobraflex is a hose with male thread swivel fittings on both ends. It's usually used in sprinkler applications.

I got a good amount of double sided tape I used a lot in woodworking. Before you peel off the protective covering, it's about the thickness of masking tape, but a little thinner (obviously - duh) after both sides of the stick tape are exposed. Is that the same thing as "carpet tape" you listed?
That's perfect...same usage here, probably, for attaching router templates to the work material. Most people don't have a source of good interface tape, so carpet tape at Home Depot works.

BRIAN

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brian,

I've got 25" inside my cabinet to work with. What size tube should I get to leave room for plumbing and "manuvering"?

Getting my order ready for you and this is the last open item.

Thanks.
Hal

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I missed this question. I'd go for 18" or less. That holds a lot of media. Figure 3" below that, and 3" above, and you get total height, with a little to spare.

BRIAN

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Brian,

No problem - Want to make sure I got this right?

18" tube will allow all the plumbing, etc. and give me room to get the thing in and out of the 25" cabinet space?

Figure 3" below that, and 3" above, and you get total height, with a little to spare.

I think I understand your comment about needing 3" above, but what's with 3" below? Do I need space underneath the cabinet floor?

Hal

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I understand your comment about needing 3" above, but what's with 3" below? Do I need space underneath the cabinet floor?

No, you don't need room below the cabinet. The tube sits on a base, which adds more height to the reactor. We won't be drilling the side of the tube, for strength. Instead, the tube will sit on a machined base, which is then attached to a larger base plate. You've got the rest of it figured out fine.

BRIAN

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brian,

I'm putting together my order for your parts. Where you've indicated that more than one are needed, is the cost per piece or for the total units required? (e.g., Acrylic Base Riser 7" x 2 1/2" x 3/8")?

Hal

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,The parts list calls for 6" cast tube, will 6" Extruded tube work?
TIA, David
[/url]http://store.yahoo.com/ecomplastics/6000odcleare.html

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
David, I will supply the cast tube. You just have to tell me the length you need. The cost is per inch, and in the parts list. Extruded tube is something I'll warn you about in the class, and I'd prefer if you used cast in this. You'll be happier with the product.

BRIAN

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the fast reply :) ,I gess if I would have read on to the second paragraph I wouldn't have had to ask. 8O Sure took a load off my mind!
Thanks again,David

firefish151

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brian,
Are we supposed to send you an order for the parts we need from you? If so where do we send it? We can order all the acaylic parts from you, right?

cybershark

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brian
I noticed today that there are three diffrent types of carpet tape light , indoor/outdoor , and heavy. You said thin so I,m assuming the light is what your talking about but I better wait till I hear from you. Also I was not able to find the ethanol/ethly alcohol. Is there a different name for this I looked at both home depot and mernards.Is there a place online that I can order IPS Weldon #40 and #4. Thanks
Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: