• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

EyesClosed

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below is a quick deisgn i made to address 2 problems, the main being the small bubbles that occur in my refugium due to splashing from the overflow, and the second being loud noise.

splashdiffuser.jpg

I am yet to build it , but basically the plan is for the bubbles to raise to the top of the left chamber, while the exit holes are at the bottom of the right chamber. By the top being sealed off (except for air escape holes), this will hopefully supress any splashing noises.

Dont know if this will work, and i wont get a chance to try it for another month or so, so if someone else tries it out, let me know how it goes.

The implementation is going to be a lot more amateur that the plan looks. The plan is to get a Tupperware type container to build this, with something inside it to make the 2 chambers.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Eyes closed

I made almost the same thing for mine. I have my 2, 2" Flexible hose drains running into a piece of 6" Pvc Pipe. The pipe has an acrylic divider in the middle of it to separate the top from the bottom. this divider has a bunch of holes in it, and then there are slots along the bottom of the pipe.

The water pressure beating on the divider holds the whole thing down so it doesn't float around. the bubbles come to the surface and pop and the water comes out the bottom of it

works great, and its less filling

herpsandreefs

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I discovered this way of quieting an overflow while modifying my 50 acrylic. The bulkhead that went to the sump couldn't handle the pump I have, do I drilled a second hole in the back about 4 inches below the first and put a 3/ 4 bulkhead in so there are now two, the first is a continuous siphon and never breaks, and as the water rises above that syphon it flows down the higher bulkhead, but is really quiet because it is only half full and a syphon never starts. Its durastic but works great. :wink: Chris

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EyesClosed":2val6qgj said:
Below is a quick deisgn i made to address 2 problems, the main being the small bubbles that occur in my refugium due to splashing from the overflow, and the second being loud noise.

splashdiffuser.jpg

I am yet to build it , but basically the plan is for the bubbles to raise to the top of the left chamber, while the exit holes are at the bottom of the right chamber. By the top being sealed off (except for air escape holes), this will hopefully supress any splashing noises.

Dont know if this will work, and i wont get a chance to try it for another month or so, so if someone else tries it out, let me know how it goes.

The implementation is going to be a lot more amateur that the plan looks. The plan is to get a Tupperware type container to build this, with something inside it to make the 2 chambers.

This the same thing I made in my 75 except with no baffle. All it is is a tupperware sugar container with two holes in the lid where the drain hoses enter and a bunch of holes in the bottom for the water to enter the sump. Make sure the top of the container is above the water line. In addition to eliminating noise and bubbles it als reduces the salt spray, and hence the salt creep making the sump a lot cleaner looking. Works great. I got the idea from marc levenson http://www.melevsreef.com/

Dude

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YEah do a search for durso standpipe. they work great. reduce sound by 80%. he only thing is theyre is a small hole which will needed to be drilled at the top u need to clean it periodiaclly with a toothpick due to salt creep build-up.

Shinken

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a tap inline of the return. and closed the tap a bit (gradually) untill the water backed up the pipe a little. now im near silent

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: