• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

WannaBeReefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 AGA with the megaflow and use AGA's accessories, The overflow itself is very quiet, but the water rushing from the bulkhead through the 1" hose to the sump creates a WHOLE LOTTA NOISE! No splashing or anything like that just a bunch of gargle in the hose, anyway to get rid of this?

WannaBeReefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I did see that in the archives, but my AGA looks like the same exact thing. Does anyone know if they are different as far as noise is concerned?

DougBak

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a Durso standpipe reduces the 'slurping' sound that's caused by the uncontrolled amount of air that enters an unregulated standpipe. By throttling the amount of air antering, you can reduce the noise and keep a steady amount of water flowing thru the drain.

I built this for my 90 gal and it works great!

dakine

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to give this a try as well, I'll give an update in a few days when it's all put together.

JohnK

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rainman":15xn66n6 said:
Try making a durso standpipe. They are very very very quiet. A silent whisper if you will.

Won't solve the problem of the original poster. Overflow noise and sump drain noise are two different issues but in researching a lot of past threads I've routinely see someone ask for a solution to one and get an answer that's a solution to the other problem.

Noise and burping from where the water enters the sump has nothing to do with having a durso or not. He stated his overflow itself was quiet.

I have a new setup (bought used, came with Durso) and I'm having problems quieting my water draining into the sump. It actually was fine for a few days (had it just right, hose in the water but wasn't getting the back-pressure burping) but then it started burping at random times.

I'm looking for a solution not involving drills or glueing elaborate hard PVC contraptions, not sure what to do.

DougBak

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten the best overall performance and sound deadening from using a Durso standpipe in the overflow and bringing the drain pipe below into the sump at a 45 degree angle, with the end sitting about an inch below the waterline. This creates enough backpressure to allow steady flow and reduces the amount of noise on the drain side by allowing the water to drain without splashing.

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Doug said, angling the pipe/hose coming into the sump works for me. I think mine is even flatter than a 45. I keep the outlet submerged, but not by much.

Being on an angle like this allows air to bubble to the surface in the sump without getting trapped in the drain pipe and making lots of loud gurgling/burping noises.

Drain pipes also seem to get quieter with time as they get slimed-up...

HTH

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option you could try is having the outlet above the waterline and hitting something to diffuse it, like maybe an angled sheet of acrylic/glass...

If you do a search on the board you'll probably see a bunch of other ideas too. I know I've seen discussion on this topic in the past (with pics and all).

JohnK

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ChrisRD":3jw86rz8 said:
As Doug said, angling the pipe/hose coming into the sump works for me. I think mine is even flatter than a 45. I keep the outlet submerged, but not by much.

My problem is that's how mine was initially (through dumb luck, not design) and it was fine for about 3 days of operation. Really, really quiet.

Then it would begin to burp for no reason....i'd have to take the hose out of the water and hold it above for a few seconds to stop the burping, then put it back. It would go for a few hours and then start burping again.

The time periods between burp episodes has gotten shorter and shorter.

Now, if I have the hose as much as 1/8th inch below the water surface at any angle, I get burping within 3-4 minutes, and I then have to hold the hose out of the water for 5 minutes to make it stop.

And, of course, if the hose is even 1/8th inch above the water surface, I get massive splash noise.

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might sound weird, but try making an overflow (only in reverse) for the drain into the sump.
If you take a piece of say 6-8" dia tube, pipe, whatever that is a coupla inches above the sump water line and place it so that the the pipe or hose from the overflow is inside it, quiets the problem quite a bit. Works real well if the water comes in at an angle (45 deg).
You are just creating back pressure, the bonus is that it helps eliminate bubbles in the sump.
It worked wonders for me (3100gph) so may work for some of you as well.

HTH,
James

WannaBeReefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Ideas, mine also was quiet when I first fired it up. Then of course I started fiddling with everything trying to get it JUUUUSSSST right, and went ahead and messed it up. :)

Going to try something like this with 2 45's, make any sense or will the
2nd 45 put back where I started?
______
|| straight from tank
\\ 45 then another 45 to straighten it out
|| down to sump

Would diffusing it into a filter sock help?

ChaoticReefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your overflow's drain tubing just hangs (not plumbed into your sump's glass) into your sump the easiest way to fix this is put a hole into the tubing about a inch or so above your sump's water level but below your sump's total height. Some people complain about this idea that salt will plug the hole up, I find this to be false after 4 yrs of usage, maybe because that I put huge holes in the tubing.

fishstick

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a plastic mesh that defuses the water. Its about 3/8 to a 1/2 inch below the drain pipe. the mesh I found was at the salvation army from some kids toy. looks like it has 1/8 inch squares more like a grid.works fine for me.

Bamm Bamm

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6gallon rubbermaird container inside of my sump that I drilled about 15-20 2" holes in and I have the overflow spa flex going directly into the tubberware container and the lines are submerged about an inch.. this has helped to eliminate the issues I was having. After I actually change the water and out saltwaer in it next weekend I plan on adding maybe a filter pad or something to the rubbermaid to help a little more even.

rich2103

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The less bends in the hose that leads from the overflow to the sump the less gurgling noise you will hear. I had the same problem, after straightning the pipe, the noise disapeared

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy solution....

Hard plumb your drain, so it sits a little above the water line. Zip tie a plastic fish bag around it, and cut some holes below the waterline. Cut a small hole above to allow air to vent as well. No burping, reduces splash noise, no salt creep.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: