• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I have an 86 gallon Hagen tank sitting beside me, almost dry. I wish to set it back up, but I'm thinking HEY since it's empty, maybe I should re-silicone it. The corners look okay, but it's an old tank, around 8 years.
Now, I'm as talented as the next guy (girl) but I've never siliconed a tank, and I'm afraid to mess it up. What if I make it leaky when it's not leaky now? What if I *gasp* make things worse?? But if I don't, will the tank start to leak in a few years? I don't wanna take it down again, at least not for another 8 years. That's my time frame...rebuild each 8 years. Not a moment sooner! ;)

Topside? nooo, Shane can move it for me :twisted:

A

Anonymous

I would fill her up outside and let it sit to see if there is any leaks. No leaks, no problem.

Edit: Unless I'm wrong. :twisted:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Space, thanks. It's currently minus 100 degrees outside. I don't even like opening the door to let the dog out 8O I think the water would freeze solid in 5 minutes flat. Well, at least it wouldn't leak
:lol:

The tank doesn't leak right now, I just emptied it, it's already has been sitting in my living room for YEARS. I just tore it down and am re-doing it.
I really have NO wish to move this sucker, it weighs as much as I do, and it took quite some doing to get it level. I live in an OLD house with uneven floors.

Bob LOL you can input anyways, this thread is still in the Sump ;)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unleashed":1psfykw3 said:
Space, thanks. It's currently minus 100 degrees outside. I don't even like opening the door to let the dog out 8O I think the water would freeze solid in 5 minutes flat. Well, at least it wouldn't leak

Doh!

The tank doesn't leak right now, I just emptied it, it's already has been sitting in my living room for YEARS. I just tore it down and am re-doing it.

I would not worry about it. I think if you start goofing with the seal now you will just invite problems. Please do not send me the bill if it empties into your room. :P

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note to self: Send Space the bill if the old silicone gives out....

:lol: :mrgreen:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unleashed":1vb9ibu1 said:
Note to self: Send Space the bill if the old silicone gives out....

:lol: :mrgreen:

Old silicone, new silicone, who cares, as long as she gives out and Ace is buyin'!

(Oh wait, it's NOT about boobs? Damn...)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the proper way way to re-silicone a tank is to remove as much of the old silicone as possible, goin all the way to the 'meet' point of the corners, making sure all residue is scraped clean off the glass surfaces.

if the tank has been sitting dry for 8 yrs, i'd strip off all the old silicone, and reglue the 'seal bead' that joins/seals the sides (the second glue pass that's put on after the 'join' bead that's actually between the side edges.

you do have the option of relying on the original glue, if it still feels soft, and flexible, w/no signs of hardening/stiffening.(but it's your risk, either way :wink: )

here's a tip:

after laying down the bead in the actual corner's 'seams', take a small piece of potato, cut rounded at one end, use the potato to 'smooth out', and 'press in', the glue- the moisture of the potato will prevent any silicone from sticking to it, and it will smooth out the seam quite nicely

:)

hth

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mjen2003":2ozpv6hx said:
Bobzarry":2ozpv6hx said:
I thought this was gonna be about boobies.

Bob

:lol: (so did I)

Me four.

I thought maybe some visual aids to help in the decision making process would be nice.

Bobzarry

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note: rub potatoes on your boobies to keep them from sticking to the silicone when you lean over the tank, while making your repairs.

Bob

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about just holding some potatoes for a couple minutes and then using the hands to rub the boobies?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharkky":38jo1927 said:
How about just holding some potatoes for a couple minutes and then using the hands to rub the boobies?

Bobzarry

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharkky":6zp0szn2 said:

actualy if you hold the boobies for a few and then rub the potatoe.....oh never mind

Bob

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: