• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

A borneman surge device uses a toilet flush valve; very little air is drawn in and so it is much quieter. You can try covering the plexi with a towel as well. Plexi on its own won't do much to dampen the noise.

platapus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just at the end of the surge, when the sihpon breaks, you can hear it. IT isnt as bad as I thought it was going to be - You should barely be able to hear it once fully enclosed......we shall see ;)

I have heard of people that us a actuated 2 way ball valve, opened and closed by 2 float switches in the surge. Air never has a chance to enter the pipe...completly silent ... Im told.

I can always change it down the road if it is too load, but Im going to stick to siphon for now.

Mogo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Borneman surge device is actually quite noisy. Exactly like a toilet flushing because that is basically what it is. I can hear it flush through the wall to my fish room. If noise is an issue and space isn't, you could construct one in a styrofoam cooler with extra insulation around it. Cheap and simple to build. The effect is amazing.

jsbradbury

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if platapus got the surge finished all the way, with the hole at the top of the 'U' I'm looking into building one and want to see how yours worked out.

platapus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• ~surge1.jpg
    ~surge1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 942

platapus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - In the display Im going 4" DSB (purearagonite) and in the fuge, im going 6-8" DSB, with macroalgae (not sure what slecies yet) and whateve else will live there.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: