• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

PeeJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just regular silicon sealer that they sell at home depot or wal mart?

I have "GE Silicone II - Household Glue) will this work?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used it to build the baffles in a couple of sumps.. Working great right now too.

The blue tube right? (Not red!)

PeeJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tube is white with gold lettering....

I have two 6x8x3 boxes to glue in the upper corners of my tank to go around the bulkheads in the back glass and I need to glue them in.

I've heard regular silicon does not work well for acrylic on glass....

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... - Not sure on the white/gold..

The blue I think also says not for use on aquariums but I think its just a liability issue..

The red is Kitchen/Bath which contains mold/mildew inhibitors which will poison a tank REALLY quick. (I learned this the hard way. Fortunately all I lost was 2 cleaning crews.. - I didn't learn until I rebuilt my sump and put another batch of fresh poison in the tank that I was using the wrong stuff..)

The blue tube says it's for windows/doors.. Does yours say anything like either of those?

PeeJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No...thats really not an issue I can find silicon for aquariums...question is will this bond acrlyic to glass.

Keep in mind these overflows do not go all the way down to the bottom so there won't be as much water pressure holding them in place.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I'm using my blue tube GE Type II in both my main tank and my sump... - I resealed my main and baffled my sump with it.. - Let it dry for about a week and dumped everything in, fired it up and corraline started growing just a month later so even though it says "not for use", its apparently not a problem...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh... - Well, I would say you're probably safe then.. - Mine is holding up an acrylic wall thats got about 5 gallons of water volume pushing against it in a standard 10 g.

And the acrylic is only 1/8" thick! 8O
(Yes, it's bowed pretty severe but its held for about a year and a half now...)

PeeJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok cool well thank you for your help..looks like I'll go that route then. Really let it dry for a week? It says 24 hours...??

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let mine sit for a week just to be extra-anal - that was on the resealed tank. It wasn't the cleanest and was pretty thick in some corners.. - On the sumps I put 'em to use after about 36 hrs..

srbayless

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

I think what they mean by "not for aquarium use" is that it isn't meant to be used to "make" an aquarium. I don't think you will have any problem with the application you plan on using it for. Silicone makes for a very good adhesive between glass and acrylic, as long as you don't have too much water pressure. It sounds like you are just creating "boxes" that won't sustain any kind of pressure. Go for it.

Peace,

Scott.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
afaik, trying to glue acrylic to glass is not a very wise idea ;)

i'm not aware of any glue that can 'bond' one to the other in a true fashion, and i certainly wouldn't trust any silicone based glue to be able to hold the 2 together for ANY pressure type apps, like tank sealing/building

non pressure bearing baffle walls in a sump are another matter, however :wink:

PeeJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I used the GE Type II....feels pretty solid. And none this is not a pressure type application. Or is it? Well too late now

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is not any type of silicone that is made to make a permenant bond between glass and acrylic. As other have already said, it does do a good job on baffles and such, where there is no pressure.

FWIW, when I was a noob, I made a corner overflow compartment in a 20G that serves as my refugium. I used acrylic and silicone to make the overflow compartment. I am sure that one day I am going to come home to a disaster. Then I will be able to tell you how long silicone holds acrylic and glass together under pressure. It is going on 3 years now. Keeping my fangers crossed! :D

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many have the disclaimer because they add chemicals to the silicone to ward off mold and bacteria.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PeeJ":18kfwbje said:
Well then what do tank companies use to bond their overflows into the corners?

silicone :wink:

but 'BONDED' is not the correct term to use-the overflows are not bonded to the glass, they're glued-there's a huge difference

'bonding' infers some chemical/physical join between the two pieces/materials to EACH OTHER, while glueing joins each piece to the silicone, not to each other, and silicone does not 'grab' acrylic the same way it does glass

the water pressure pushing the overflow against the glass panes it's glued to also lets us 'cheat' abit, re: the holding/tensile strength of the silicone

the silicone for overflow boxes is mostly just holding the box in place, and seals the seams against leaks (also partly thanks to the water pressure pushing the silicone into the seams). it's not really a pressure type situation (the water is actually pushing in a direction that 'goes in', pushing the box against the glass- w/a tank, the water is pushing outwards on the panes that touch the seams :wink:

hth

ReeferAl

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The experiments I did showed that goop and weld-on 40 both created very strong "bonds" between glass and acrylic. MUCH stronger than silicone. OTOH, for just attaching baffles, where a structural failure is not a catastrophe, silicone is probably adequate.
Allen

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem kinda is that the silicones that work for glass don't work well for acrylic and vice versa. Acetoxy cure silicones such as GE Silicone I work great for glass but don't stick well at all to acrylic while neutral cures like GE Silicone II works *okay* for acrylic but not well for glass. If just for baffles, it's fine though.
Personally I'd shy away from 100% silicones, use "silicone adhesives" such as Dow Corning #795, it costs more, harder to find, and takes longer to cure but sticks well to acrylic. It's what we use for pressure gaskets in public aquaria where we are sticking acrylic to fiberglass or coated concrete.

HTH,
James

Shinken

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definatly not use acetoxy cure. It brakes down the hotmelt bond in double glaze windows so god only knows what it would do to fish/corals

It might be okay but hey

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: