A

Anonymous

I think you could just do one of the 1200 mods and be fine.

Aim the MJM in a position that the flow diffuses a before it hits the LPS. Such as an upper corner and across the back of the tank. That will keep the flow moving well and probably not blast any LPS.

My tank is three feet long and with the MJM in the upper corner aimed across the back I don't have TOO much sand shifting. I have my frogspawn under where the MJM hangs, so the flow is fairly gentle there. (Yeah yeah, I need pictures, I know)

On another note, I cleaned mine the other day and it has become chattery again!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On another note, I cleaned mine the other day and it has become chattery again!

You removed the mass that was causing it to be harder to vibrate, of course it became chattery! :D

Julius

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moda mj1200 fro my 30 gallon. It is blowing the snd everywhere and is definitely too much flow for lps. I used the dumas 3004 prop. Im going to try the dumas 3002 prop and hopefully can achieve a gentler flow.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished my mod on to one of my MJ1200. I am going to experiment with it in my 46G lol. ought to be interesting. 90 G isn't up and running yet. Frustrated by parts delays. Anyway, I have some noise issues with it but it is pushing alot of water. Louey did you use magnet cleaners for your mounts? I may have to try that. Not a big fan of suction cups lol.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to experiment with it in my 46G lol. ought to be interesting.

I use a Vortech (which is rated at 3000 gph, about 1000 gph more then the modded maxijets) in my 40 gallon - no problems :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it ran alright for about 2 days and now the PH won't run correctly. It spins back and forth and provides no flow what so ever. Figures it would crap out, brand new mj 1200 too. Well, now I have to decide whether to go tunze or vortech. You get what you pay for has always been my moto and if you want cheap, cheap is what you get.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to check if the Tunze Nanostream has hit the market yet.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run two modded MJ1200s in my tank for 9 weeks now non-stop. I haven't had any problems.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I have seemed to have better luck with these than some people I thought I'd post a pic of how I have mine running. I have a 120 with dual overflows in the back. I have the modded MJs hanging from the normal brackets on the inside of each overflow so that they are pointed straight down toward the bottom (mainly because I am too lazy to build a special mounting bracket). I have a a bare-bottomed tank, so I really like having as much flow across the bottom glass as I can get.

I wonder if the reason mine are so quiet is because they have a little bit of back pressure because they are pointed at the bottom.

I'm not sure why these have worked so well for me and not so well for other people, but I really consider this some of the best money I have ever spent on my tank.

Attachments

• MJ Mods.JPG
    MJ Mods.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 2,194
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to redo them and found the error and fixed it, it now blows very well and has for about a week. The only issue I have is that it does blow some sand about, but it is in a 46gBF. It started on the corner opposite rear from the mj and has progressed to the front of the tank now. The MJ is now just under the surface pointed accross the front of the glass. I can't get it any higher or it starts a syphon and gets lots of bubbles.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: