• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

BroRage

Junior Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
One thing I am still not understanding about this...why in the bottle technique does it say to airate the thing and in the disk method no air is needed to be pumped through it...

scumonkey

Goniopora isn't VD!
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Don’t these hatchlings have almost no nutritional value? Isn’t it easier just to buy a bar of Cyclopeeze for $11? These buggers are frozen, but packed w/ nutrition and lasts at least six months (easy). Maybe I’m missing something….I know Melev reef talks about feeding the little buggers to get them nutritionally sound. It just sounds like wasted money & time to me. If I’m wrong let me know
Your Wrong!.....
The reason you hatch them rather than buy them is....
newly hatched brine shrimp (within the first 6 hours- BEFORE they absorb their yolk sac), are VERY nutritious.
After they eat their supply they become a snack.
The stores sell adults...also just a snack. Unless you gut feed them, but why bother when you can now easily hatch them, and feed them right away?!
Hatching them used to be a pain...separating shells etc.

Milkbone

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Interesting

I didn?t mean buying live BS, but the frozen Cyclopeeze. Stocked w/ good stuff & cheap. I didn?t know about the first six-hour thing. Sounds good, I would prefer to feed live/natural foods any day of the week. Will give it a try

vanceny

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
scumonkey and to those who already have this dish,

The water level looks lower than the gate ring, how do the shrimp get to the center? Is the water level higher than the catch? How do they get in there? looks like it would be a simple diy with some pvc. Just looking for some more ideas.

Thanks.

Vance

scumonkey

Goniopora isn't VD!
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
he shrimps swim under the gate ring, kind of like baffles
Exactly!

The egg shells float...to get from the outside to the center, they would have to
sink under the 2 gate rings,and float over 2 of the bottom dish's concentric rings....
under, over, under over. Unless you shake the dish it's not gonna happen.

Last edited:

scumonkey

Goniopora isn't VD!
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I used the same exact hatchery appoximately 15 years ago. it works great.
Proof that it's an .....
shhh.gif
Ancient Chinese secret

vanceny

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Exactly!

The egg shells float...to get from the outside to the center, they would have to
sink under the 2 gate rings,and float over 2 of the bottom dish's concentric rings....
under, over, under over. Unless you shake the dish it's not gonna happen.

So the gate ring doesn't sit on the bottom of the dish? Is it slightly lifted on legs?

Dmitry

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Egg shells are supposed to float, so they will float up while the shrimp will swim towards the light on the bottom.

I want one of these also.

If you start feeding live regularly - will the fish get spoiled and stop accepting frozen? What are the chances of this happening?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: