• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Melt

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
all you have to do is got there with your size and they will cut it for you.. get the solven there and it's 1 2 3..I m going there this week because i need to make a new sump.. to house my new big dog.. euro reef 8-2 skimmer..any question on making it feel free to contact me..i made bout 4 sump already

joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
i believe they sell their sheets of acrylic at ~$90.i tried all three plastic shops on canal and they all quoted the same price-$90 for a 48"x96" sheet of 1/4" acrylic (give or take a few dollars). that is alot of acrylic, roughly what you would need for a thirty gallon sump/fuge.you might have some leftover for a smaller project.
btw the closest i've come to making anything out of acrylic is asking for a price in a store and looking at melev's site from RC(so don't take my word over the opinion of melt).i would also love to make my own. maybe we should have a little workshop on acrylic sump building (would be sweet).

melt did you get your acrylic from canal? how much did you get and what size sump where you able to make with it? how thick was the sheet?would 1/4" be overkill for a thirty, including the baffles and other inner supports?what do you recommend cutting acrylic with, what kind of blade?

Melt

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Ok. i made all my sumps..I buy my acrylic from canal street .. the last shop before broadway. my sump is 36x13x15 with 4 baffles and it cost me $76..include the solvent for melting the acrylic. They cut it for you all you have to do is give them the size and they do the rest ..then you go home and stick it together..if you need help PM me and I can send you my number..

Remember the baffles will take the place as a center support..and 1/4" is to much .I alway use 1/8" because remember the sump will not be full it will only be bout half way when the main tank is shut off...

Melt

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
LiquidBlues i am in brooklyn and I would be making a sump this weekend for my new skimmer you can feel free to stop by..remember the more baffles the better. I have a refu. in the center of my sump..

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
if it's going to be the same size as a 30 gallon, why not spend the $35 or so on a glass tank, and go get pieces out of the scrap bin at industrial plasics for the baffles.

There's lots of pieces in the scrap bin that would be big enough for baffles in a 30. Who cares if they're a little scratched up!

If you're going to build it out of acrylic, depending on the height of the water, and the height of the sump, 1/8 might not be the best solution. I'd go with 3/16" minimum. Somewhere I saw a calculator/chart that shows you what thickness to use for what height/gallonage.

BC

Melt

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
well I hadmy sump for over 3 years and not a problem..and it's my second one. remember a sump don't be full all the way up..and the baffles keep it together..so its bout 4 to 5 baffles and 4 to 5 space of water..the most the main conpartment will be with water is about 10 to 15 gallons ...

LiquidBlues

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hey melt..

do they have large acrylic pcs...
since you made your sumps...

what do you think of a 150G acrylics tank..
do they think thats possible ? and how much would something like that cost around

Melt

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I am not sure thats to big for me to give your any tips on it..I am not a pro I just made a couple sumps for my self in the pass thats all...

I can email you pictures of my sump if you like ..

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
guys should be aware the stuff you buy on canal street is not ideal for tank/sump use. it's extruded material. you need cast material for tank/sump building. extruded does not give you a strong joint, it will craze, and it will absorb water, when it does it takes no effort to crack. I've learned from expierence.

littlefish

Alfredo De La F? Sr
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Home made sump

Hello there.

After reading this, I think I will build my sump.
I'm a good builder. I build Radio Controlled airplanes and helicopters and that takes a lot of skills.
My question is:
Are there any plans for building a sump for a 120 gallons tank?
How big should it be?
Please feel free to e mail me at:
[email protected] or private message me.

Thanks guys.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
How to tell whether acrylics are casted or extruded?

Besides asking the manufacturer, is there an easy way to tell by looking at it, touching or .....

Thanks in advance

NYPDFrogman said:
guys should be aware the stuff you buy on canal street is not ideal for tank/sump use. it's extruded material. you need cast material for tank/sump building. extruded does not give you a strong joint, it will craze, and it will absorb water, when it does it takes no effort to crack. I've learned from expierence.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: