• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Well, after an hour of messing around with it I still cant get this skimmer to work properly. I'm not quite ready to call this one a failure but it certainly isnt plug and play either.
The major problems are that its releasing a load of microbubbles back into the tank and i am having problems working out the rate of water that should be flowing through the unit. I might need to get a few experts over to check it out and give me some advice. spykes? you up for some skimmer diagnostics?

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
I believe the flowrate for a recirculating skimmer is should be between 1 and 1.5 times the total system gallons per hour. (Spkyes, correct me if I'm wrong).

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
The problem is if i increase the flowrate to anything like that amount it pushes too much microbubbles out of the outflow. I'm thinking i might have to put some kind of baffle in to try and shield the outflow a little. I must admit i am really happy with the dense mix of air and water, its just getting everything dialed in so its working in an efficient way that's killing me.
I might try and post some pics of it working and see if you guys can make some suggestions

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I think you may want to install another tube inside the main body. Feed the incoming water and recirc water into the tube. This would eliminate most of the micro bubble from going down into the return pipe. (This is how Life Reef does it).

LifereefSVS24.jpg

Rich

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
done... added to my post

The output (with valve) is fed from almost the bottom of the skimmer, as you have it...

This isolates the incoming water and bubbles, for the most part. The taller you go the better off you are... less bubbles going down.

Rich

Last edited:

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
aaron said:
The problem is if i increase the flowrate to anything like that amount it pushes too much microbubbles out of the outflow

This skimmer is on your 36 bowfront right? What feed pump are you using? It should be no more than 54 gph. We're talking minijet here.

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have dialed the inflow way down and i'm letting it just run for a little while to see how it does. should have some more comments by later this afternoon

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Well after a week i was ready to call this project another failure but with solbby's assurances that things take time to work i put it on the 36 Gal bow front and this morning i woke up to find the neck full of foam and the collection cup with 1/4" of reasonably dark sludge. I will try and post some photos tonight.
Maybe if they're good enough i will be invited to post on the hard core skimmer thread?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: