• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Hi all I have some drawings for a new skimmer i plan on making for my nano tank (36 gal) i was hoping to get some feed back from everyone.
Its about as tall as will fit in the cabinet and i plan to make up for the small collection cup with a second waste collector.
Now If only I could work out how to post the picture (its in my photo album)???

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
looks very nice arron, will work, exect injection level of foam seems a bit high.

image edited by houseofha

Attachments

• SKIMMER.jpg
    SKIMMER.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 155

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
how did you post the image?
I was tossing up weather I should put a 90 elbow facing down for the foam injection and a piece of 3" pipe glued to the bottom for it to isolate the new foam from the outflow (if you know what i mean?)

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I had to drag it onto my desktop, it looks good to me, being the expert skimmer builder that I am.

spykes can you describe the difuser plate you mentioned, where does it go, and what does it look like? can aaron put one on his model?

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
i can telly ou how im gonna make them, it's not the same as BK skimmers, i wanna make mine removeable, and lower then the BK ones with a small swirl movement. but yeah jose got the pic, of the BK skimmers. TY jose

[ April 19, 2005, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: spykes ]

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
no, I didn't make that, yet.
that skimmer is a bubble king, we were looking at the diffuser plate on the bottom to incorporate it into our design.

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
dudes, dont make it too complex, we only have certain amount of time to cut everything and peice everything together, and how many people are putting a skimmer together? i know jose might be comming over to my house to cut stuff. so i hope you guys precut everything.

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
My revised skimmer design,
I lowered the recirculating pump output.
I'm also thinking of putting a union on the neck to easily remove the cup. Do you think this will handle the bio load from a massively overstocked 36Gal tank?

I've decided against a wet neck and bubble difuser as i think it is just a little too complicated to bother with on a small skimmer like this.
skimmer9mt.jpg

[ April 23, 2005, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: aaron ]

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Why are you using two different size unions for the input and output of the pump? I thought the pumps are usually the same size.

You might want to upsize the skimmer output\drain pipe size and raise the intake of it a bit from your picture. You want no restriction on that part.

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
My pump has two different sizesfor input and output, I am making the input 3/4 so there is no restrictions on the draw side. The biggest problem is that neither side is a standard PVC size so i am going to have to make some sort of adapter.

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Here it is, nearly a year later my skimmer is finally finished.
I'll hopefully be able to get it in the water tomorrow for a test run.

Attachments

• skimmer.jpg
    skimmer.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 290

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: