• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Mantis806

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
hey everyone,
finally setting up the new tank, and just need some help. can i setup my plumbing this way? i want to run everything off one pump in the sump b/c i didn't accoutn for powerheads when i was making my canopy. so now there's no room in the back for me to stick the powerheads thru the back of the canopy. i'm not sure what pump will be able to get water to all the outputs. i'm also worried that if i use a strong pump, the 1" drain won't be able to handle it. the tank is a standard old style 90 AGA RR. i have a mag 7 right now, but that's not gonna be enough. all the corners and piping will reduce the flow a lot. can anyone tell me if this setup is possible and recommend a submersable pump?

the yellow is pvc pipes, the orange is the outputs.

101.jpg

[ May 10, 2005, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Mantis806 ]

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
what about an over the side closed loop?
your right about the 1" drain, it may get scary trying to push enough flow through all those returns and have the drain keep up. if that one drain ever got clogged you'd have a real mess.

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
you would have to make the outlets different sizes, or the farthest ones from the pump would get very little flow.

I'm sure setting up a mag 9 would be okay. (I've got a mag 7 on my 20 gallon with a sqwd.)

You could put a ball valve on the output of the pump and throttle it back a bit.

BC

Reef Guy

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think you might need a mag 36 for that, if its going to be your only source of flow. Btw i would be careful with getting a powerful pump. I was thinking the same way when I did my setup, I like the flow and everything but the only prob I am having is the MICRO bubbles! when you have that much flow running into your sump its hard to get all the micro bubbles out even with 3 or 4 baffles. What im goin going to do to solve this is down grade to a mag 9.5 or a mag 12 and use a tunze for my flow

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: