• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

PhoenixOne

"Drugs are bad...mmmkay!"
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is a thread here in regards to making a DIY mesh cover for tanks to help reduce heat and keep your suicidal aquatic friends from costing you money and/or giving cats a tasty hors doeuvre. Here is the problem. I live in nassau. I have went to home depot, lowes, ace hardware, arts and craft shop and I can not find the mesh. The poeple at HD, Lowes and AH looked at me like I spoke an alien language. The mesh is called Plastic Hardware Cloth. I have all i need to make this except the hardware cloth 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch (didn't deciede the hole size yet). Anyone who knows where I can pick up a roll, it would greatly appreciated.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I get the netting I use at Ace Hardware..in the Pond section. The holes are 3/8". Awilda is correct it is called Pond Netting. I've never found it at HD or Lowes..only at Ace. It comes is 14' x14' sections for 11.99 IIRC, and a larger package for about $44.00.

PhoenixOne

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I get the netting I use at Ace Hardware..in the Pond section. The holes are 3/8". Awilda is correct it is called Pond Netting. I've never found it at HD or Lowes..only at Ace. It comes is 14' x14' sections for 11.99 IIRC, and a larger package for about $44.00.

KathyC,

I went to the AceHardware in Levitown and they too looked stumped. But it may be the fact that I didn't call it pond netting but I didnt see a pond section in that store. Which one did you go to?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I'm a little brain dead this morning...where is the Levittown store? ...specifically :) If I could picture the place I'd know if they have it (hardware store junkie...lol)
Bellmore has it (Merrick Rd a few blocks west of Wantagh Pkwy)..Massapequa Park too..also on Merrick Rd.from John J Burns park..

Be careful..it comes in 2 mesh sizes..the 1/2 inch is too big & fish can easily go through it.

wimby

C&S Miracle Makers
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
Wimby, we live in the same neiborhood. I went to Home Depot on rte 110. Those yahoos had no clue what I was talkin about. Did you happen to go to the Westbury loc?

I actually just roamed around in the outside garden area and came across it and I was in the one on 110. I think I was near fencing it was outside I remember that on those huge shelves. First time in the 110 store I usually go Syosset or Jericho
It's called deer block and I believe the holes are 1/2inch so far no excapese in my tank from it.

Last edited:

PhoenixOne

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't beleive how elusive clear plastic 1/4 inch mesh is. I went everywhere and nothing. Spent most of my day drivin' around. AceHardware didn't have clear. The only place I found some is here: http://www.industrialnetting.com/plastic_oriented.htm#search part #ON5340. But it doesn't have an add to cart button. I bet there is an insane minimum. I'll call tomorrow to find out. Something so simple in design is so impossible to find. I won't give up. I may give in to black 1/4 plastic mesh (UV treated), thin of course if I can find it. My quest continues.

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I never did find any in clear...what I was talking about is black and yes, it is UV protected. The fact that it is black doesn't cause any reduction in light as the netting is so thin (but strong).

PhoenixOne

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok. I brought the pond netting from AceHardware as per KathyC. Big thanks to her and everyone else's help. KathyC is right. KathyC is right that it makes no difference it being black and having 3/8 inch openings. I noticed that if you have lights on feet, it will be hard to open to do feedings or maintenance. But I have a brainstorm. Looking at my current versatop, I'm going to try to copy the mechanics some how to make it a lid type like the versa top. I'm also going to bend one of the frames to conform to my bow front which is an idea that I got from someone either on this forum or reef central. When i'm done, I'll post a pic if i'm sucessful. Mind you, I am not handy.....i'm pretty much a nightmare!!! LoL!:banghead:

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Hey Phoenix..I sent you a PM with some ideas on it..let me know if any of them work for you. Looking forward to see what you come up with as bowfronts are challenging to cover.

GreshamH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't beleive how elusive clear plastic 1/4 inch mesh is. I went everywhere and nothing. Spent most of my day drivin' around. AceHardware didn't have clear. The only place I found some is here: http://www.industrialnetting.com/plastic_oriented.htm#search part #ON5340. But it doesn't have an add to cart button. I bet there is an insane minimum. I'll call tomorrow to find out. Something so simple in design is so impossible to find. I won't give up. I may give in to black 1/4 plastic mesh (UV treated), thin of course if I can find it. My quest continues.

You found the supplier of netting a lot of the worlds MO collectors use. The netting in the PNG thread is sourced from what used to be called Internet but now is Industrial Netting. The two sizes used are ON-3018 and ON-6200 (clear nottless monofilement). Something tells me they might be considerring selling smaller amounts... IIRC they sell as small as 100' rolls?

Last edited:

PhoenixOne

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok. Here is what I came up with. It is very similar to covers made by others. Just with a few more "not so well crafted" bends made for the bow front. What can I do. I don't have the nessassary tools to make a clean bend. As per another poster on either here or reef central, they said to put the frame against the edge of the bow front and bend it slightly to get it started. I wouldn't advise that because as I started doing it, I noticed the top of the tank frame bending. So you know what could of happend. The 3/8 mesh is fine and the amount of light didn't diminish. As a matter of fact, it actually increased a bit because the versa top glass is not acting as a filter anymore and there is no chance of any small fish getting through the openings. Not even my neon gobie. And he is SMALL!!!. I have it under two 150w HQI's and the net is cool to the touch. AceHardware had plenty of 3/8 pond covers. I also got a 5 degree pull down to 78.6. I have an idea to try to make it a flip lid like the versa top to make maintenance etc easier. But I will tackel that later on. Right now, I'm pooped!!! Let me know what you think.

IMG_2778.jpg

IMG_2779.jpg

IMG_2783.jpg

IMG_2781.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: