• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
trying to figure out an easier way to bend the frame so it doesn't look like I used it to wack someone on the head with.:fishhit:

It's good that you found someone with a bowfront shaped head to whack! :) ..lol

Nice job btw!!!!!!

The aluminum screen edging that you used has a tendency to 'dent' like that however you bend it..been there, done that..
Couple of things..there is a door solution, look back on the link inside of my mesh cover thread..I did add a door to my first covers. I used regular hinges and screws (in stainless steel).
You'd need to actually create 2 covers on one side(of the tank)..one that is the 'bow' section just as it starts to run straight on the sides. The other section being the balance of the rectangle.

The one downer to the aluminum material was the pitting and the saltcreep that made me switch to the acrylic edging...maybe you can find a way around that? :)

You're pretty awesome for a non-handy guy!

boardryder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
How is this cover working for you? Did you ever end up making a flip top for it? I have a 46 bow very similar to what yours looks like. I was going to do an acrylic frame, but I think the metal screen frame may be a little easier.

FREEZE

colonist
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
some fish can jump through eggcrate as the holes are bigger. also, egg crate is light diffuser, so it weakens your light to coral.

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
some fish can jump through eggcrate as the holes are bigger. also, egg crate is light diffuser, so it weakens your light to coral.

I can agree on the bigger holes but not so sure about the other point. I have my T5s sitting right on on top of it and the light does enter the tank just fine. Eggcrate doesn't waken you light, it diffuses it.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I can agree on the bigger holes but not so sure about the other point. I have my T5s sitting right on on top of it and the light does enter the tank just fine. Eggcrate doesn't waken you light, it diffuses it.

Xoom...some degree of light that would have gone into your tank at an angle is being lost due to the eggcrate. Even the small 1/4 inch height of the eggcrate us cutting out a portion of your lighting.
Hold a pencil in front of a light bulb and see how much of a shadow it casts at a distance that equals the depth of your tank and multiply that times the number of eggcrate spines that are under your light..in both directions....:) IMO you are losing a fair amount of light.

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Xoom...some degree of light that would have gone into your tank at an angle is being lost due to the eggcrate. Even the small 1/4 inch height of the eggcrate us cutting out a portion of your lighting.
Hold a pencil in front of a light bulb and see how much of a shadow it casts at a distance that equals the depth of your tank and multiply that times the number of eggcrate spines that are under your light..in both directions....:) IMO you are losing a fair amount of light.

I actually looked at the tank the day I posted and realized that indeed an eggcrate is capable of blocking some light. The plastic pieces are quite thick blocking probably good 15-20 % of the light. Add that to the efficacy of the light fixture (low by design) and light loss is even greater. I will look into the mesh alternative, I just hate things that are flimsy. Thanks Kathy.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
;)
You'd be surprised at how strong the mesh is. I'm forever putting things on top of it when I'm working on the other side of the tank.
I'll send you a pic over the weekend of an idea I have for you that you can do with your current eggcrate top that might help you out some :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: