• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
there has to be a better way.

I tried this jig today, it was quickly made.
I took a practice dove tail joint I had made a while ago, it was a perfect 90 degrees, I clamped it to my contractors table saw with two bolts and knobs, I sunk the bolt heads below the wood, then I braced the tube against a router table fence and rolled the tube over the saw blade. I used a brand new 100 tooth carbide blade and raised the blade into the tube while holding it firmly in the jig. the rolling part worked okay, but it was not perfect all the time. sometimes the tube would move, and i would have to re-trim the whole thing. not shown is the piece of wood I put to the right of the blade to support the tube as it was cut, basically making a zero clearance insert. how else would you cut these? how do the stores cut them? i can see making some kind of super tube holder, but it seems it's better if the tube does not move and the blade cuts around it, like a metal cut off saw.
any ideas?

08110515472mq.jpg

08110515489yh.jpg

08110516027ji.jpg

T

twinreef

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
yes he does.
can't wait to try some of his diy's.
planing to buy me a Ryobi BT3100 table saw. got to start some were. was going to take some woodworking class at the ymca, but it looks like they don't have them right now. guess i have to wait for the classes.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
funny, my ideas were the same, just different enough to make a difference for the worse. I'll try zeph's way. looks pretty simple.

Ryobi makes some great tools. I want to update my smaller table saw, I keep trying to decide between the ridgid with wheels, or the bosch with wheels, both great saws. then I keep looking at the ryobi with wheels, I've used it before and liked it a lot. somehow buying stuff for the tank keeps getting in the way of a new saw :rolleyes:

T

twinreef

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
are you talking about the Ryobi BTS20. i was looking into that one as well. but i was wondering how sturdy it is. the 3100 has more features. plus i can put my router on there.

T

twinreef

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Trying putting some rubber on the wood, it should give it some traction.

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I'd try puting a sheet of stick on UHMW on the jig. That way there's a lot less friction.

Also, if you make the jig longer than the table, it will support the tube along the length of the tube.

Plus, I'd make some kind of guides to hold the tube against the back of the jig in a couple of places.

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: