• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

newsalt

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a drawing of a cabinet I'm planning to build for a 130 that I'll be upgrading to I'll have to sell my 50g tank and DIY stand and canopy first.

Attachments

• 130tankstand.jpg
    130tankstand.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 185

newsalt

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bad coffee said:
sweet. can't wait to see pics! What lumber/finish you thinking about? Also, will the 'shelf' on the top of the canopy be the canopy top or it's own shelf?

BC

Not sure what material I'll use. My 50g cabinet is pine. looks great. Anyone interested in buying it? Will also fit an AGA 65g. Here's a picture. Yes, the shelf on the top of the canopy will be the top of the canopy.

Attachments

• 100_0717-1.jpg
    100_0717-1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 184

newsalt

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jhale said:
looks great.

Jhale:

Didn't know you built cabinets until I clicked on your link. Do you think it really looks good? Can I pick your brain? Do you think it's do-able making the canopy section removable? Also, what kind of trim can you recommend to hide the black aquarium frame?

I appreciate your input.

newsalt

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean pictures of the stand and canopy? I only have some pictures of the reef. If you'd like to see recent photos of the stand and canopy, I can take some and post them. What I would sell is the stand, canopy and tank itself. Fish, coral and Liverock would not be for sale.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The cabinet your planning looks great. Its an awesome design. I am in the process of building something similar. The only difference is that I will utilize the top lefthand shelf for a refugium. Because the flow to the tank is gravityfed all pods that flow to the tank survive without getting scrambled in the pumps. I found a pic on RC which sort of explains it.
Diagram.jpg

Pic_5511_5.jpg

Keep the posts of your progress coming!
Regards,
Herman

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
newsalt said:
Jhale:

Didn't know you built cabinets until I clicked on your link. Do you think it really looks good? Can I pick your brain? Do you think it's do-able making the canopy section removable? Also, what kind of trim can you recommend to hide the black aquarium frame?

sure pic away :)

first one thing, hermans diagram reminds me of the idea that sumps would be better off raised up off the ground.
I know it's a pain, but in trying to clean my sump this weekend I was reminded how easy it would be if i could have just suctioned the whole thing out. the next tank I design I'm going to try to have the sump much higher off the ground.

your idea for the removable canopy is easy to do given the design you chose. the whole front panel can be hinged to raise up out of the way. or it can be on cleats and just pulled off and set aside. I would build some baffles to block the light coming through the seams.
there are endless choices for the trim, it's all personal. you can make it seperate from the stand and silicone it onto the tank once it's set in place.
make sure you finish both sides before you do this. it will protect the wood from the drips going down the front of the tank.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
by the way, whether you meant to do it or not your drawing shows good proportion, this is often lacking in diy projects. your design has four rectangular shapes and they are all in proper proportion to each-other. this follows the golden triangle rule which was developed by the greeks and still used in todays design. there is a formula, but you achieved it by intuition, unless you used the formula ?

it's also known as the golden rectangle, or just the golden ratio,

here is one page that describes it well,

http://www.jimloy.com/geometry/golden.htm

newsalt

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an engineering background, but it was coincidencne.

jhale said:
by the way, whether you meant to do it or not your drawing shows good proportion, this is often lacking in diy projects. your design has four rectangular shapes and they are all in proper proportion to each-other. this follows the golden triangle rule which was developed by the greeks and still used in todays design. there is a formula, but you achieved it by intuition, unless you used the formula ?

it's also known as the golden rectangle, or just the golden ratio,

here is one page that describes it well,

http://www.jimloy.com/geometry/golden.htm

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
newsalt said:
Do you mean pictures of the stand and canopy? I only have some pictures of the reef. If you'd like to see recent photos of the stand and canopy, I can take some and post them. What I would sell is the stand, canopy and tank itself. Fish, coral and Liverock would not be for sale.

I meant recent picture(s) of the canopy, stand and the tank, it will most likely be a new planted tank. Thanks.

newsalt

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cali:

The picture I posted was back when I finished the canopy and stand. It essentially looks the same now. The canopy has one defect (if you would call it that). The miter saw I used while building the canopy/stand was not very accurate. One miter on the canopy needed wood filler to fill a gap. I guess variations in temperature caused the filler to come loose. Here's a picture. I always meant to get it fixed, but never got around to it. The tank is excellent. No leaks or scratches. It's 14 months old. Being a saltwater tank, it got coraline algae on most of the back wall, but I think you'd be able to get that off. What's your timeframe for setting up the planted tank?

Attachments

• 100_1030-1.jpg
    100_1030-1.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 94

mmike1992

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
My tank has been set up with a above tank refuge for years.The fish wait by the return pipe from the fuge for pods. The only problem with that is micro bubbles from fuge, by the way nice stand layout

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
my fish don't seem to get the pod eating thing.
I dump all the pods back into the tank I save from filter socks and things like that.
most of the time the fish will eat a pod and then spit it back out ? lucky pods.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: