• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Finally after having to change the baffles spacing, to get the skimmer in, the sump is up and running as of Friday and working very well. I left a larger section, where the return pump is, this will cut down on the amount of water I'll need to add to the sump so far it should hold about 4-6 days before I need to add water.

108_0846.JPG

108_0847.JPG

108_0848.JPG

108_0849.JPG

All I need to do now is change the light over to either a large PC light of a light of America bulb set that I have. I've got a bunch of Mangroves and plan to add a bunch more.

Cost:
29gal tank - $54
4 Baffles 1/4" - $20
2 tubes of silicone - $9
Total cost: - $83

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Mike, when you say "it should hold about 4-6 days before I need to add water", do you mean before you need to top-off with freshwater? If so, that could translate into a salinity swing your reef won't enjoy every week. If not, please elaborate.

Dean

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Dean

Yes because the return comparement can hold alot more water I wouldn't have to top off with fresh water for 4-6 days or so. This design is similar to my other sump which I don't have to top off for about 1 week at a time. I don't have any problem with SG increases, as water evaporates, or swings and I shouldn't have any problems here. The only problem I could see is if I add to much fresh water and that causes the SG to drop, so I need to check before I add fresh top-off water.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Missy that the Euro-Reef ES5-3 that I got from Steve.

Steve I just turned on the skimmer yesterday so it's been running for a day now. I got foam right away but no skimmate yet. From what I've read on RC it can take a week or two before it start to really get going. I also have a Remora skimmer still on the tank so it's possible the tank doesn't have alot. I'm happy that the skimmer doesn't throw off alot of bubbles into the tank like alot of other skimmer do.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Just a little vinegar and hot water and then I took a bush and most of it came right off. It was pretty easy, the only thing was I filled it with vinegar and hot water and forgot that there is a pipe on the bottom so alot of the vinegar/water came right out the first time I fill it up.

ctxmonitor

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
that skimmer of your is full as in completely fill with micro bubbles. Look goods.

Is the far right side where it house the return pump? Your water level is pretty low on that side, wouldn't that evopration cause the pump to suck in air? Does it last you 4-6 days?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
That is where the return pump is and when it's completely filled it will last about 4-6 days before the pump starts to suck air. Right now I'm letting it run low to see how long it will take, with evaporation, before I need to top off with fresh water. If I can get by with not having to top off by say once a week and then do my weekly water changes it would make it alot easier on me as with my other sump I was topping off almost every day or every other day.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: