• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Yes it can be done....i just cut 3/32" glass with one. first is the tile saw i used, next are the two pieces of glass. it cuts a little rough, nothing a little sanding won't fix.the end looks a bit jagged , i think i have to have someone help with holding the glass steady.

here are the pics

Attachments

• tile saw.JPG
    tile saw.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 179
  • cut glass 2.JPG
    cut glass 2.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 183
  • cut glass 3.JPG
    cut glass 3.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 179

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
why did you do that?
A simple glass cutter works much better and you get clean cuts.

I hope you were wearing eye protection.
good thing you know a whole lot of MD's :headache:

joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
i tried a glass cutter and it wasn't working for me J (i can't cut a straight line for my life) . i did use something with a straight edge as a guuide, but always strayed off course. i was wearing eye protection, and boy did i need it (stuff flying everywhere).btw i don't think a glass cutter will cut 1/4", it says it can but i don't want to ruin it like i did with pieces of the 3/32".pics of the 1/4" cuts to come.

btw i don't think i can cut teeth with a glass cutter, which is what i plan to do with the tile saw.

p.s. J let me know if you're free for paintball on 11/12.

joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
well, after trying my hand with the tile saw on a 1/4" piece i found out it's better to just have it done at the glass shop.although it is do-able with the tile saw i ended up cracking the glass.to be successful i would have to build a table big enough to support whatever size glass i'm trying to cut.cutting the glass went well, but when much of the weight of the glass was unsupported it cracked.maybe eventually i'll build me that table.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
lol Jose please leave cutting glass to the people at the glass store,
it's not worth it.
their glass cutters are mounted on a rail so they can get those nice straight cuts.

I'll let you know about PB, I hope I'm not working.

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Glass cutting is pretty easy! Just get a $2 glass cutter from the hardware store and dip it in oil before you cut. It's a trick from the glas shop.

Make one contunous score across the whole pane. Make sure you get the ends scored well. Then you 'pop' the glass, rather than just bend it till it breaks.

Wear eye protection, and gloves to help your hands.

B

joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
well i just proved to myself that sometimes it's just better and too much easier to buy things than trying to DIY.i went to my glass shop and gave them the measurements for glass to make overflows for a 90g 29g and 65g, all came out to $55.like J said, leave the glass cutting to the pros.i still have to do the teeth myself though.

joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
here are the pics of the finished overflow for the 90G. i drilled the two holes and teeth for the overflows with a dremel.got glass cut to size at the local glass shop.

Attachments

• overflow 1.JPG
    overflow 1.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 109
  • overflow 2.JPG
    overflow 2.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 116
  • overflow 3.JPG
    overflow 3.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 109

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: