• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Where can I get one of those bits that drills a perfect circle cheap? I need to get one to drill a 4" hole for a canopy.

Also do you think it's necessary to get two fans for a 70 gallon tank?

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
hole saw = lowes or home depot

I have two ice cap fans, they are not that loud.

it's hard to describe how loud or quiet a fan is, but I don't find them disturbing.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Any PC fan will do. My tank came with Enermax. No louder or quiter than the next fan. One kid put in an led fan which was used as a moonlight. Looked cool.

Any hardware store will have a holesaw. Also you can check out www.melevsreef.com He has some acryllic fan mounts on his site for DIY.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Minimum is two. One on each side. One fan pulls air in and the other sucks it all out. This way you have a nice stream of air blowing over the top of the water.

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
thx. reason i asked is that i've seen enclosed all in one lighting units where the mfg only uses one fan.

thx again.

borrowing a 4.5" saw hole from one of my buddies. huge selection of fans on newegg.com. i guess look for higher cfm and lower decibels

ulmo

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Ecfencing,

I'm running two icecaps fans on my canopy and I don't have a problem with noise. In my opion they are quieter than the radio shack.

Peter

ulmo

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I got it from a vendor, but sorry to say he not in business any longer. You can try some of the online store or perhaps someone here knows. Sorry, I couldn't help.

Gmandese

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
What kind of lights are you using? If you use 2 fans, it will create twice the noise. You may be able to use 1 fan, if you put a hole on the other end for air intake.. ! in, and 1 out, may not be as efficient as you think. The same cfm is tranferred (cubic feet per minute) since you can only exhaust as much as the 1 exhaust fan can handle. Input fan doesn't matter, any excess will be blown down at the water, heating it.
If anything, and you need 2 fans, set both for exhaust, and let the make-up air com from over the tank. However, you may have more evaporation, and you'll need to keep up with the replenishment of fresh water.

Gmandese

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Then you sould use 2 fans, both exhausting. 1 at either end. Be prepared to add makeup water. 2 fans exhausting will give you twice the cooling that the 1 in 1 out will give you.

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Gmandese: Thx. I'm setting up an auto top off with fresh water coming from an 5 gallon IO Container.

pecan: Thx for your input. I'm selling my 70 once I setup the 120 but it's going to be a while before I setup the 120.

I wanted to get a structural engineer's opinion first on what the best method to shore up my joists would be.

So off to the shed the 120 goes for a while.

FRY: Thanks for the offer. I borrowed a 4" hole saw from someone in Jersey.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: