• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
here are some pics of the construction of my Ozone reactor. I started work on this prior to my router (power tool for all you comoputer guys) failing and needing repair
I havent been feeling well so work has been on hold

the base is 3/8 black 8X8 the edges are finished with a 45deg angle
the chamber is 18" tall and 5" diameter

there will be 2 drip plates one on the bottom approx 3" from the base, and one on the top.
there will be a 1/2 PVC pipe runing down the center through the drip plates.
between th drip plates will be 1 gallon of large blue bio balls.
the water will enter the top splash down on the top drip plate and rain down the bio balls the balls will keep the water broken into droplets.
ozone will enter through the top pressurizing the chamber forcing the water up the cenetr tube and out to the reactor to a carbon reactor of similar construction than the treated water returns to the sump.

the reactor will be fitted with a pressure gauge, the water level in the reactor is controle by the in comming 03/air via a john giest ball valve.

I'll proably use and ehiem hobby pump or submerisable Gen-X pump to feed this.

her are some pics

the top flange and cover are 2 piece sealed with an ozone safe o-ring
I didn't keyhole the cover I don't for see any reason to disassemble the reactor once it's together the cover will be held on with 1/4" nylon screws.

this is labor intensive the flanges, drip plates start out as flat sheet once I lay out screw holes, grooves to the o ring it gets clamped to the drill press, and it's cut into a circle.
once the cirlce are cut the top and flange are bolted together and using the layout I drew on the masking the bolt holes are drilled. in spite of the time I took to layout the bolt holes I still have to mark the both because it will only firt one way.
once the work is done on the drill press I go to the router table and cut the groove for the o-ring.

before I attach the flange to the tube I polish the edges tap the hole to accept the nylon screws.

I plan to bond the tube and the flange together later today if I feel up to it.
once thats done I'll post more pictures.

Attachments

• DSC04733.JPG
    DSC04733.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 521
  • DSC04738.JPG
    DSC04738.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 524
  • DSC04737.JPG
    DSC04737.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Thats some clean work. What are the advantages of using a pressurized bioball setup as oposed to using an unobstructed reaction chamber driven by a powerhead and say a venturi to inject the ozone?

I am really looking forward to see the end product!!

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
it's my belief that injecting the air or Ozone under pressure (5-7psi) super saturates the water. when the controller shuts down ozone production the reactor will continue to staturate the water with O2.

the water leaving the reactor will be super oxygenated and the risidual O3 will be scrubbed by the carbon reactor. in therory the reactor will constantly be an O2 reactor and part time O3 reactor.

I ordered a dissolved O2 kit from lamotte I plan on measuring dissolved 02 before and after I install the reactor along with ozone.
should be interesting to see if I'm actually correct

PS thanks for the compliment! :D

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
great looking fabrication. I can't wait to see what results you get.
I used to have one of those O2 test kits, I have no idea what happened to it, those lamotte kits are not cheap.
check out the orp article i posted, it has some interesting thoughts on using 03.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
question for ozone users.

I read the recommended size of the O3 generator should be 2mg/gallon.

My total water volume is 150 gallons, could I get away with using a 200mg generator, or would it be too small?

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
cali_reef said:
Looks good Frank. How do you plan to pressurize the chamber (or increase the pressure of the O3)?
take from Albert Thiels site:
14.2 OXYGEN REACTOR:

A reactor used to inject oxygen under pressure into the water, called an oxygen reactor, is nothing more than a cylinder, usually of acrylic material, filled with a medium that disperses the water efficiently, in which air is blown at the same time as water is forced in.

Providing your air pump is strong enough, and providing your water pump can handle the back pressure, one can increase the internal pressure by adjusting both at the same time, and using a gauge to determine what, in fact, the pressure inside the reactor is.

Because of the over-pressure inside the cylinder, air - which contains 21% oxygen - is made to give up more of its oxygen to the water (the partial pressure of oxygen now being higher). This increases the dissolved oxygen levels of the water, and benefits the system overall.

The recommended over-pressure is 3 PSI, but I run my own system at 6 PSI and obtain better results. Approximately 75 gallons of water per hour flow through the reactor. You must determine what is best for yours by experimenting with various pressures, making sure that the reactor you are using can handle them. If not, it will blow out and a seam will "give" somewhere, creating a potential leakage situation.

14.3 OZONE REACTOR:

An ozone reactor operates on exactly the same principle as an oxygen reactor. Setting one up, and adjusting it is done in the same manner as well. Make sure though that the reactor you are using is certified for ozone use. Remember, ozone is a very strong oxidizer. Pay attention to the medium inside, and to the small fittings that are used to hook the air/ozone mix up to.

Instead of running such reactors at 3 or more PSI, I have found them to operate efficiently at 2 to 3 PSI, and run mine at that level. Again about 75 gallons per hour are flowed through the reactor. Experiment with yours, both the pressure and the amount of water you flow through, until you are satisfied with the result. Remember that ozone must be neutralized with activated carbon.

http://www.thesea.org/reef_aquarium/DIY/reactors/reactors_ozone.php

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
jhale said:
question for ozone users.

I read the recommended size of the O3 generator should be 2mg/gallon.

My total water volume is 150 gallons, could I get away with using a 200mg generator, or would it be too small?
not sure Jon this is why I advocate a controller, humity, air quality effect ozone production so a 200mg generator might not produce anywhere near that amountdepending on ambiant conditions.

I have a 200-300 generator you can use so dont by one till you try it
I bought a 1000mg generator that is adjustable

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
thanks, I was asking because another MR member has a redsea model they offered, it's adjustable to 200mg, I guess your 300mg might be a better fit.

I looked at the 1000mg one you got on ebay. I'll wait and see how yours works till I order one ;)

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
cali_reef said:
I was wondering how you will pressurize the O3 to 5-7 PSI?
coral life luft pump

jhale said:
I looked at the 1000mg one you got on ebay. I'll wait and see how yours works till I order one ;)

I've played with it it works well quiet makes a ton of ozone ( easily smell it Iset it up outsiide in my shed ran for 5 mins and easily smell a strong odor of O3, shed is no where near air tight)
my gripe with Enlay was I paid for express shipping didnt get it and it was packed like sh*t when I complained they didnt answer till I posted neg feedback

other than that it seems to work real well

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: