Socks no socks or pad? - Reefs.com

Home  / Forums  / Global Forums  / Filtration  /  Socks no socks or pad?
Long Island Socks no socks or pad?
12-11-2018, 03:56 PM
So I know this topic has likely come up before but I’m looking for info on my specific use.
So I’m running about 140 gallon sps system with a trigger 39 Sump. This Sump comes with an option for socks or pads. I’ve used socks in the past and it’s fine If your on top of your maintenance. I’ve never tried pinky pad for mechanical filtration but I’m about to try it out.
Question 1- nutrient trap? Filter socks are submerged under n water pads run water through it? Any difference?

Question 2- what do people use in the top of the bubble trap? Pinky pad sponge nothing?

I have also ran no mechanical in the past with success but not a fan of the Sump collection?

I’m not the roller mat type.

I know this is basic stuff but I’m just looking for some insight.

Thanks Rich

12-12-2018, 09:55 PM
I used nothing but from my experience, people who used filter socks tend to change them quite often so that wouldn't be a nutrient trap.

Got Reef?
12-12-2018, 10:23 PM
Interested to hear who is not using socks. They may have to get changed every few days but the cost is low and easy maintenance.

PADI Instructor
12-12-2018, 10:25 PM
On my system filter sock need to be changed every 4 days.David from Reef trends gave me good advice about using filter basket instead of suck with disposable polyester fibers and worked good but it have a little downside. I was seeing small particles of polyester escaping basket so I changed to different material. Got a washable 1” filter pad which works like a charm now. Need to be changed every two weeks and it’s washable too. If you are interested I can give you more info on that and pics.

Reefer Always Learning
12-13-2018, 12:39 AM
I tried the filter cups stuffed with all sorts of different filter media...always seemed to fill up after only 2 days (when the sock lasts 4-5)

I just bought 21 socks (3 holders in the sump) and after every 12 dirty I wash them with bleach and rinse 3x in washer machine. Hold the dirty ones in rodi water filled bucket until ready to wash so they don't putrefy in the garage lol

I did run a sump without socks for 2 years because of a lack of room for them and I have to say I am a believer in socks and maintaining them. really cuts back on sump detritus.

PADI Instructor
12-13-2018, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanwarrior View Post
I tried the filter cups stuffed with all sorts of different filter media...always seemed to fill up after only 2 days (when the sock lasts 4-5)

I just bought 21 socks (3 holders in the sump) and after every 12 dirty I wash them with bleach and rinse 3x in washer machine. Hold the dirty ones in rodi water filled bucket until ready to wash so they don't putrefy in the garage lol

I did run a sump without socks for 2 years because of a lack of room for them and I have to say I am a believer in socks and maintaining them. really cuts back on sump detritus.
This is what I end up using and like it.
https://www.aquacave.com/washable-fi...x-4-yards.html

www.reeftrends.com
12-13-2018, 05:13 PM
Socks obviously are good but can get expensive and then the need to either replace them or bulk wash them. The filter cups work well but they do seem to clog a bit faster although is quick and cheap to change out the filter material (great suggestion Ziggy). Often though I actually recommend not running socks or cups and keeping the sump clear of rocks, mud, etc (except maybe a cermedia brick) and when you do a water change doing it from the sump and sucking out or stirring up all that sediment. This is for two reason - you get 'dirtier' water out of your system and you don't disturb the tank as much when doing a change. Also makes it a bit easier to know how much water to take out usually is the entire sump plus an inch or two up top (which can be marked for future reference).

Reef Trends
Aquarium Solution Services
707-666-FISH