RetroReefs13

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
So I know this topic has likely come up before but I?m looking for info on my specific use.
So I?m running about 140 gallon sps system with a trigger 39 Sump. This Sump comes with an option for socks or pads. I?ve used socks in the past and it?s fine If your on top of your maintenance. I?ve never tried pinky pad for mechanical filtration but I?m about to try it out.
Question 1- nutrient trap? Filter socks are submerged under n water pads run water through it? Any difference?

Question 2- what do people use in the top of the bubble trap? Pinky pad sponge nothing?

I have also ran no mechanical in the past with success but not a fan of the Sump collection?

I?m not the roller mat type.

I know this is basic stuff but I?m just looking for some insight.

Thanks Rich

Timbo

Got Reef?
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Interested to hear who is not using socks. They may have to get changed every few days but the cost is low and easy maintenance.

Ziggy

PADI Instructor
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
On my system filter sock need to be changed every 4 days.David from Reef trends gave me good advice about using filter basket instead of suck with disposable polyester fibers and worked good but it have a little downside. I was seeing small particles of polyester escaping basket so I changed to different material. Got a washable 1? filter pad which works like a charm now. Need to be changed every two weeks and it?s washable too. If you are interested I can give you more info on that and pics.

Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I tried the filter cups stuffed with all sorts of different filter media...always seemed to fill up after only 2 days (when the sock lasts 4-5)

I just bought 21 socks (3 holders in the sump) and after every 12 dirty I wash them with bleach and rinse 3x in washer machine. Hold the dirty ones in rodi water filled bucket until ready to wash so they don't putrefy in the garage lol

I did run a sump without socks for 2 years because of a lack of room for them and I have to say I am a believer in socks and maintaining them. really cuts back on sump detritus.

Ziggy

PADI Instructor
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
I tried the filter cups stuffed with all sorts of different filter media...always seemed to fill up after only 2 days (when the sock lasts 4-5)

I just bought 21 socks (3 holders in the sump) and after every 12 dirty I wash them with bleach and rinse 3x in washer machine. Hold the dirty ones in rodi water filled bucket until ready to wash so they don't putrefy in the garage lol

I did run a sump without socks for 2 years because of a lack of room for them and I have to say I am a believer in socks and maintaining them. really cuts back on sump detritus.

This is what I end up using and like it.
https://www.aquacave.com/washable-filter-material-pf17-28-x-4-yards.html

Reef Trends

www.reeftrends.com
Vendor
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
Socks obviously are good but can get expensive and then the need to either replace them or bulk wash them. The filter cups work well but they do seem to clog a bit faster although is quick and cheap to change out the filter material (great suggestion Ziggy). Often though I actually recommend not running socks or cups and keeping the sump clear of rocks, mud, etc (except maybe a cermedia brick) and when you do a water change doing it from the sump and sucking out or stirring up all that sediment. This is for two reason - you get 'dirtier' water out of your system and you don't disturb the tank as much when doing a change. Also makes it a bit easier to know how much water to take out usually is the entire sump plus an inch or two up top (which can be marked for future reference).

Salted

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from felt socks to mesh socks to cups and floss. Cups and floss for the win I'll never go back. Takes two minutes to change and it's cheap. $10 for a bag of poly fill https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ALQ0M2/?tag=reefs04-20 that's lasted roughly 6 months changing two cups every other day. While roller mats might be all the rage they're not cheap, you need to have enough room in your stand to fit it, and what do you do when the system you bought says that they're raising the mat price... again. Or it's out of stock or it's discontinued. Then the system is both useless and worthless. Sorry to be such a glass half full guy but those are still realities.

Timbo

Got Reef?
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am loving the sump I got from Allen from reef trends. I thought 6 socks was over kill but I change them less often and they are so easy to throw in the wash. Probably cost me less than $30 for 12 6” socks almost a year ago with no need to replace any time soon.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I use the aquaclear filter sponge type (cut to fit), which I have to wash out 2 or 3 times a week. It lasts about half a year before it looses its shape.

I think the question you're really asking is, If you're worried about bio degradation of wastes in the pad, yes it continuously being released, but there really should be no difference in the filter pore size regarding this, be it a fine sock, a disposable poly filler, or a large pore sponge. They are all simply mechanical filtration. The question for you should really be, how often does one clean out the accumulated debris. The more frequent, the less biodegradation.

As for not using any mechanical filtration and vacuuming the sump, the biodegradation is still continuous, you're simply leaving it in for the entire week (or month) and removing the biologically active sludge. (In sewage treatment that's the second stage of water treatment, with the first being mechanical filtration of plastics, and other large garbage)

Last edited:

geldof

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I use a single sock for half the week and two for the other half. I do this, so the skimmer has a chance to take up some of the gunk. Socks can be very effective, but miss some of the stuff the skimmer picks up and vice versa.

Jamesmost

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Used To run 3 x 7" diameter socks...
Really polish water, but pita to clean...

Made homemade Baskets from 2.5quart hd paint mix containers and hand cut pads from dual demsity rolls....
Every 5-8 days. I chuck pads and replace ....

Cant pay me to wash a sock again

scottlarmr

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know this topic has likely come up before but I?m looking for info on my specific use.
So I?m running about 140 gallon sps system with a trigger 39 Sump. This Sump comes with an option for socks or pads. I?ve used socks in the past and it?s fine If your on top of your maintenance. I?ve never tried pinky pad for mechanical filtration but I?m about to try it out.
Question 1- nutrient trap? Filter socks are submerged under n water pads run water through it? Any difference?

Question 2- what do people use in the top of the bubble trap? Pinky pad sponge nothing?

I have also ran no mechanical in the past with success but not a fan of the Sump collection?

I?m not the roller mat type.

I know this is basic stuff but I?m just looking for some insight.

Thanks Rich A diferencia del proceso manual de cálculo, en el que uno debe ingresar las comisiones de porcentaje base, la comisión base y otros detalles de la transacción, esta calculadora ofrece una selección de escenarios predefinidos. Por ejemplo, dispone de categorías como transacciones nacionales, internacionales y otras, cada una con su propia configuración euros. Solo necesita ingresar el monto y seleccionar la categoría adecuada. La calculadora proporcionará resultados precisos e instantáneos para su negocio.
  1. Filter socks are submerged, while pinky pads run water through them. Filter socks and pinky pads have different methods but both can trap nutrients.
  2. People use pinky pad sponges or other materials on top of the bubble trap.
Hope this helps!

Jamesmost

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Gave up on socks a few years ago...too much to deal with cleaning..
I have 3x6" holes.
One of the home depot plastic paint buckets fits in hole,,,, I drilled out bottoms, and put cut filter material I get on amazon
I cut the top plastic off the socks and the hd bucket fits in it perfectly

Attachments

• 20230831_123605.jpg
    20230831_123605.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230831_123614.jpg
    20230831_123614.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230831_123616.jpg
    20230831_123616.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230831_123617.jpg
    20230831_123617.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: