A

Anonymous

Well, it looks like the e-mail address on Fish-o-Rama'a website is for their webmaster and not the store itself. Below is the e-mail that I received from Steve (their webmaster).

Anyhow, here it is:

=====

Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 18:52:40 PDT [Show full headers]
To: [email protected] [Add to Address Book]
Subject: Fish-o-Rama's Web Site

All:

I have received numerous emails from people who have objections about the site www.fish-o-rama.com has contracted me to create. I do not own Fish-o-Rama and I do not know anything about their process or business besides what you see on the web site. I am only the webmaster, not Fish-o-Rama's owner. Rest assured that the emails that have been sent will be forwarded to their proper audience. I am going to have Fish-o-Rama's email address put in place as the contact email address from here on, and any emails I am sent will not be read, but only forwarded along to that address. The owner's email address will not be in place immediately, so I would appreciate it if you would please not send anymore emails to this email address.

Although I respect everyone's right to speak their mind, that's what email is for, please understand that I do not wish to have my email box filled with protest letters intended for Fish-o-Rama's owner. Please understand my situation as a web site creator. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation in this matter.

Steve
[email protected]

=====

Keep ckecking their website for their true e-mail address...

liquid

A

Anonymous

Scott:

Randy wrote a nice general summary of how prior disclosure of an invention can potentially invalidate a patent.

If you have an invalidating reference, there are lots of things one can do with it. One of easiest is to provide the info to the patentee or assignee (in this case Fish-O-Rama) and to the interested public (in this case, every message board we can find). This basically lets everyone know that the patent is worthless, and would be invalidated in court if there was any attempt to enforce it.

Another more drastic, expensive and risky option is to actually take the info directly to the PTO and attempt to formally invalidate the patent. That's probably not worthwhile here, but who knows.

At this point I'm just curious about what that book says, and AquaPete if you could just take a look at it and lay out a very brief summary, that would be great.

A

Anonymous

sorry to prolong the suspense, but today is a pretty busy day at work (which is where i post from). if i have time on my lunch break i will do my best to get a summary of the text on the board.
aquapete

A

Anonymous

ReefLion,

I was just curious about the patent. I have one of my own and also was involved in the “pleasure” of depositions etc. to defend it. (Talk about the Spanish Inquisition)

I like the comparison Randy makes about patenting ”putting a hyena, a polar bear, and a gorilla in the same cage”.

I have acclimated black mollies to salt water for the purpose of being feeders but that is about it.

Regards,

Scott

A

Anonymous

Hello Fellow Fishkeepers:

No way, no how was there ever any authorization to use my name or anything else about me at any time!
Sheesh!

Mary Sweeney
Editor, Tropical Fish Hobbyist

A

Anonymous

These people must be hillbillys!!!! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by reef boy:
That is retarded!

Who The heck would actually buy 1?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A

Anonymous

sorry to take so long with this information:

Innes, William T. _Exotic Aquarium Fishes: A Work of General Reference_. Philadelphia: Innes Publishing Company, 1935.

"There is considerable difference in the adaptability of those marine fishes which can be kept in the fresh-water aquarium. Our subject here [the Blue Devil Damsel] is one of those which can be brought to the changed environment by care--and it is worth all the patience that may be necessary...Those which were received were in 50% marine water. Some died, but others were slowly changed to straight fresh water in about 6 months, and are living happily after nearly 2 years." (441)

"Most species [of Pomacentrids] are marine coral reef fishes, but it has recently been found that at least some species can be acclimated to nearly or wholly fresh water. It is, however, very doubtful that they will ever breed or hatch their eggs in fresh water." (439)

I was wrong about this book describing the acclimation process for perculas. the book does describe the care of perculas (they call them amphiprion percula, but the picture is of three ocellaris) on the page following the description of blue devils, which is probably where i made the connection between the two concepts.

hope this is somewhat helpful.

A

Anonymous

Unfortunatly this type of thing is all too common in the pet industry. I work with dogs for a living and if people knew the horrors that went on where puppies are mass produced they would burn these places to the ground. As long as there are stupid people with money to burn and an aversion to educating themselves this type of thing will continue. So what if the percs "survive" in fresh. I can only imagine how terribly uncomfortable it must be for them. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. It just gives me more incentive to try to breed my own pair of clowns.

A

Anonymous

Aquapete thanks a bunch for the info. This looks a good bit like the claimed method in the patent. If anyone else has any other info on this subject, please post it. At that time I will, I think, just forward it to Fish-O-Rama and see what they have to say. It will probably be nothing, but it's a start. Thanks.

Also, can anyone figure out what Ms. Sweeney was referring to? I did a quick review of the thread and maybe I missed it.

ReefLion

A

Anonymous

ReefLion,

Sure, I can tell you what Mary Sweeney was all worked up about. They used her name on their web site, that's what!

I just now went back to their site so that I could find the particular reference to her but it's gone...I'm sure she gave them a piece of her mind!
smile.gif

Also, another new change to their site is the caption over the picture on the opening page showing the saltwater and freshwater fish in the same tank (actually the picture looks faked)...anyway, the caption now reads: "What's unusual about this picture?" It originally read: "What's wrong with this picture?"

I think even a retard should have been able to see the irony in the original caption.
eek.gif

------------------
Irrational Exuberance!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: