Milkbone

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I recently had my YT pass away due to a tragic accident, he was 6 years old :(. I have seen several tanks w/ YT that are very small. My YT was huge. I want to get another YT, but would love to get one that stays relatively small. Does anyone know if this pigment size is purely due to nutrition/ tank size or should I just look for a small YT & hope that it naturally stays that way? The tank that I want to put the YT in is a 75 gallon reef (which I would consider to small for my old tang)

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
there is no such thing as a "pygmy" yellow tang if that's what you're asking. I'll go out on a limb and say that there is no one captive breeding a line of yellow tangs to be "dwarf" yellow tangs.

You may want to try one of the smaller tangs. Kole tangs are nice and don't hit that 1 foot mark that most tangs reach if properly cared for.

Milkbone

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Thnks

sorry about the Tang, 6 years is not bad, not that it makes it any better when they pass away.

Yea it sucks whenever you have any kind of loss. I HAD a very strong pump that developed what looked light bright green hair algae @ the outtake. The tang seemed to be picking @ the algae (which didn?t make sense if it was HA). I guess you know how I found him in the morning. What really hurt was that I lost my Green Mandarin about 6 months prior to the same pump :fishhit:. I had the GM for about 1 ? years. Should have taken it out then. Anyway I have two Hydor Koralia 4?s on shipment to my house as the replacement. I really want to get a YT for a smaller tank though, but not willing to jeopardize it?s health to keep it small.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: