KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
This guy?

Using common names is sometimes very confusing!
IMG_3132.jpg

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Lot's of info here...
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/fishes/wrasses/coris/gaimard.htm

My personal experience..I LOVE this fish! If he was not the most beautiful fish in my reef I would probably strangle him...
He is a Coris gamiard..they get kinda big, have a very high energy level so they eat a lot, and he is easy to feed. They will pick on snails & hermits (but I have not experienced this fish decimating the population if you keep them well fed). I've never had any issue with him bothering my shrimp, but they are fairly large in size.They do sleep in the sandbed but more than anything they keep you on your toes :)

You CANNOT have anything in your tank that is not glued down, well glued down!!! They will search every nook & cranny for pods and are incredibly strong using their long sleek body as leverage to flip things over. The size of the rocks this guy can move is amazing.
They are gentle with other fish (I have a number of wrasses, a purple tang and a few assorted other fish).
This is a fish that ought to be QT'd before putting him in your main display as many I have seen in stores seem to have internal parasites...IMO

Great fish & drop dead beautiful :)

..oh, and you KNOW I have a cover on my tank!!

wrasseman

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kathy is 100 % correct tie everything down they flip stuff for bugs on the underside ,and once they find that as a way to eat they will flip all sorts of huge stuff ! i have 2 one has not yet figured this out but the other had to be put into my fish only system. they are one of the coolest lookers in the family so its worth the effort they will not hurt the corals ,maybe the critters if not fed often enough,i have great success feeding 3x daily small portions GOOD LUCK !

JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Yea I agree with Kathy and mine was a model citizen. They tend to disappear periodically as they seem to sleep in and all of sudden there they are swimming around halfway through the day. Mine never bothered my cleaner shrimp. Great fish and stunning to look at

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are they with eating flatworms because i have a bunch and was thing of getting one to take care of my problem.

bueller

Hi bueller ;-)
It might, however you should not be surprised if it goes for more easy and succulent food to get, the one you feed it :)
Halichoeres trispilus has a higher reputation of eating flat worms, however and not knowing your system, it would perhaps be more effective if you follow KathyC wise statement

KathyC said:
Don't just treat the symptom, remedy the cause!

this means that you possibly have a significant biological load and consequent organic load, which being so should be dealt with by increasing skimming, use of activated carbon and or Chemipure, more frequent partial water changes (and not necessarily large water changes as these might cause some imbalance, like a smoker that suddenly stops smoking completely...)..well its a suggestion.

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;-)

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Yea I agree with Kathy and mine was a model citizen. They tend to disappear periodically as they seem to sleep in and all of sudden there they are swimming around halfway through the day. Mine never bothered my cleaner shrimp. Great fish and stunning to look at
Could it hide in the sand for a week or should i just consider him a gonner. I pulled most of the rock out of the tank last week and did not see him.
I hope he is not rotting in the tank. I dont think he is because my ammonia is OK.

JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Could it hide in the sand for a week or should i just consider him a gonner. I pulled most of the rock out of the tank last week and did not see him.
I hope he is not rotting in the tank. I dont think he is because my ammonia is OK.
That would seem kind of long, but i wouldnt count him out late, my wrasse hid for a few days, than every time I counted him out he'd appear. Toward the end before I sold him to "Awibrandy" (an awsome reefer I might add) he was out and about like the life of the party.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0

Chemchef...If the fish was in excellent condition before it went into the sand, yes it possibly could still be under there. Fingers crossed!
I had 2 wrasses (H.cyryus--Yellow Coris and H. marginatus --Dusky Wrasse) hide out for 17 days (!!) when my Christmas wrasse went postal.
Are you sure he didn't jump?
They can also 'swim' in the sand and he could have possibly been moving around when you were looking for him. Wrasses are odd fish at best! lol
Good that you are keeping an eye on your ammonia reading - go you!!!

Bueller...I hear ya, FW's are a pita to get rid of once they get into your tank :( I too have heard suggestions of the wrasse that Pedro mentioned..the H trispilus. Info on the web regarding this fish is sketchy at best as many sites have it erronously listed as an H. cyrhus.
The true H. trispilus has 4 spots, not 3 and a white belly.
I dug up this pic on one (you're pic is ok Pedro, best this one makes the fish look even more appealing (;)). I'd like to see this guy in my tank simply for the beauty of it!!

I believe HoF either already has this in stock or can easily get one :flower:

Pic below was swiped from Wet Web Media - thxs! :)
h._trispilus3.jpg

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Neither of those photos look like H. trispilis to me. That appears to be H. (sometimes "Biochoeres") leucoxanthus. The trispilis is not yellow, but pink with very different markings. If you have the books check the Kuiter Wrasse book pg. 137 or the Kuiter/Debelius World Atlas pg. 593. The leucoxanthus is on pg. 135 of the wrasse book.

Wet Web Media is notorious for misidentification.

I've kept both and they are def. very different fish, thouh it wouldn't surprise me if both ate red Planria with gusto. I know from experience that H. melanuras does.

http://www.discoverlife.org/20/q?search=Halichoeres+trispilus

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Wet Web Media is notorious for misidentification.
Interesting that you say that Randy as they even stated that there was some issue with mixing up the pics and took down their original pic of H. trispilus. I'd also found a similar pic on one of the more reliable reefbase sites that showed the same fish I'd posted.
Unfortunately I don't have the book you are referencing :(

Is this the one you are seeing pics of?

Last edited by a moderator:

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Well im glad to hear about the 17 days of hiding, because i love this fish. i basicly built this whole tank around having this fish because it was not fit for a 24AP.. As for watching my ammonia, thanks to KathyC and all the fine people at MR i have learned a little something.
As for jumping I took a good look around the tank a couple of hundred times(NO IM NOT OBSESSED):rolleyes:, and didnt see him.
My wife swears she saw him a few days ago, so I hope she is right.
I'll keep you all posted
Sorry for hijacking thread

Chemchef...If the fish was in excellent condition before it went into the sand, yes it possibly could still be under there. Fingers crossed!
I had 2 wrasses (H.cyryus--Yellow Coris and H. marginatus --Dusky Wrasse) hide out for 17 days (!!) when my Christmas wrasse went postal.
Are you sure he didn't jump?
They can also 'swim' in the sand and he could have possibly been moving around when you were looking for him. Wrasses are odd fish at best! lol
Good that you are keeping an eye on your ammonia reading - go you!!!

Bueller...I hear ya, FW's are a pita to get rid of once they get into your tank :( I too have heard suggestions of the wrasse that Pedro mentioned..the H trispilus. Info on the web regarding this fish is sketchy at best as many sites have it erronously listed as an H. cyrhus.
The true H. trispilus has 4 spots, not 3 and a white belly.
I dug up this pic on one (you're pic is ok Pedro, best this one makes the fish look even more appealing (;)). I'd like to see this guy in my tank simply for the beauty of it!!

I believe HoF either already has this in stock or can easily get one :flower:

Pic below was swiped from Wet Web Media - thxs! :)
h._trispilus3.jpg

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Yes that is what I know to be H. trispilis and I'd def. go with the Randall (world leading ichthyologist) photo on fishbase over anything on WetWeb.

Interesting that you say that Randy as they even stated that there was some issue with mixing up the pics and took down their original pic of H. trispilus. I'd also found a similar pic on one of the more reliable reefbase sites that showed the same fish I'd posted.
Unfortunately I don't have the book you are referencing :(

Is this the one you are seeing pics of?

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: