howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Sure. depending on the lighting you may want to stick with lower light plants like the Anubius sp. The good thing about them is that they are slow growers too. Search for Arizona Gardens. They have a huge selection of plants that I used to get ideas on. Awesome little shrimp too as well as a lot of small nano sized fish.

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I'm not sure what lighting they come with. I would imagine that with power compacts you would be just fine keeping most mid-light plants in there. Also if you go with an HQI make sure you go with 10k bulbs at the most. 6,500k would be even better for plant growth. With a 150w HQI you could probably keep any plants in it.

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
i will not get mh no way goes against all i have been saying for the last 3 years lmfao lol going with the 24 gallon pc one can switch the bulbs out for freshwater

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Sure. depending on the lighting you may want to stick with lower light plants like the Anubius sp. The good thing about them is that they are slow growers too. Search for Arizona Gardens. They have a huge selection of plants that I used to get ideas on. Awesome little shrimp too as well as a lot of small nano sized fish.
STOP mentioning Arizona Gardens!!! People are complaining about electric bills while I will be crying about the shipping fee! Why can't NYC has some nice plants and shrimps at those low prices!!!!????

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
If you go for daylight spectrum, PC will suffice in the JBJ. But, of course, LED will be cooler, to the water and to your image.:sgrin:

Well. I think switching bulbs is getting very similar to switching LEDs in price for planted tanks now.

Last edited:

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
STOP mentioning Arizona Gardens!!! People are complaining about electric bills while I will be crying about the shipping fee! Why can't NYC has some nice plants and shrimps at those low prices!!!!????
LOL sorry. They are just a great place to get ideas for nanos with all their little cool fish and shrimp!

And yes, LEDs will grow plants as lomg as they are the right spectrum. Usually 6500k and red supplements is what I have seen

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
led will grow plants?

Sure they do! I have my planted tanks for 6 years under LEDs. I used many different versions, spectrum, wattage. The tank now also grow terrestrial pants "lucky bamboo" half soaked in water directly and indirectly lighted by LEDs. Frequently they fool reefers into thinking they are mangroves?.

The crazy side of me had me put 2 baby purple bezel on a Hagan Spec's sponge filter and indirectly lighted by LED. They grow pretty OK too.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: