Just fish or Fish and plants? - Reefs.com

Home  / Forums  / Global Forums  / Freshwater  /  Just fish or Fish and plants?
Just fish or Fish and plants?
07-25-2011, 01:51 PM
Hi Everyone!
In the next few weeks Ill be setting up a new tank. I had saltwater tank(150gallon) but sold it. It became too expensive andd too much work. This time Im going with fresh and much smaller. Im thinking 30-50 gallon tank. My question is How would I do live plants? Do I have to have special lights? Dont I have to have one of those co canisters? Are there fish you can and can not keep if you have plantss? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
patrick

07-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Plants will grown under pink bulbs. As for fish you have to read what plants you want to put in the tank. I kno that silver doller fish like eating plants.

2x MP 10's
240 Watt LEDS
55G Reef Ready DT
BM Nac 5 Skimmer
75 Lbs Of Live Rock
Triton 4 Return Pump
Trigger System Sump
Aqua FX 4 Stage RODI

07-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Thanks xxxAngelxxxx
How about the cansters? Dont I have to add c02?

07-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by partobe View Post
Thanks xxxAngelxxxx
Thats up to you i dont really kno about Co2. Btw its xxxAngeloxxx with a O after the letter L just messing with you lol

2x MP 10's
240 Watt LEDS
55G Reef Ready DT
BM Nac 5 Skimmer
75 Lbs Of Live Rock
Triton 4 Return Pump
Trigger System Sump
Aqua FX 4 Stage RODI

Vendor: WingoLED
07-25-2011, 04:35 PM
Planted tanks are best with 6700K bulbs.
You can go with LEDs or traditional T5. Skip the PC they use too much energy and taking up too much space if you were keep light demanding plants.

There are both cool water plants and warm water plants. You can do a research before purchasing.

If you like Discus, make sure you choose the warm temperature plants. This fish like 82-89F water!

Never keep cichlid or related fish such as red parrot, flower horn ...in a planted tank.

CO2 will keep your plants grow much faster and lighter green. Hence more people like to use it. I keep my planted without CO2.

You should use a heat element or under gravel filter to increase the substrate nutrient if you do not have the time to add fertilizer sticks. I had a 6 years old planted tank that I have never added any fertilizer nor change the substrate.

I have plants that I can give you to suck up the water nutrient during the setup time.

A Presentation of Tank Bred Designer Clownfish and other Live Stock

WingoLED.com..... Email WingoAgency@yahoo.com ........... SMS/Text: 347 878 3092

Last edited by Aqua Pro Builder; 07-25-2011 at 10:16 PM.

07-25-2011, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by partobe View Post
Thanks xxxAngelxxxx
Sounds like a female stripper i once knew... lol

07-25-2011, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dherrera83 View Post
Sounds like a female stripper i once knew... lol
That chick from Jerry Springer? Lmao

2x MP 10's
240 Watt LEDS
55G Reef Ready DT
BM Nac 5 Skimmer
75 Lbs Of Live Rock
Triton 4 Return Pump
Trigger System Sump
Aqua FX 4 Stage RODI

07-25-2011, 06:22 PM
How would I do live plants?

Well, start with the tank size you want, research freshwater plants and fish and decide which plants you want. One of the easiest choice would be a South American tank. Plenty of plants and great fish to choose from. Not many tanks look better than a nice planted display with just a big school of Neon or Cardinal Tetras.

Another thing to consider would be the substrate. I have had a few planted tanks and always found Flourite from Seachem works great.

Do I have to have special lights?

It really depends on the plants but the stronger the lighting the better your plants will look and grow. T5s would be an excellent choice.

Dont I have to have one of those co canisters?

As previously mentioned, no, you don't NEED one but they certainly help. In my first few plant tnaks I didn't use CO2 tanks I used yeast reactors that were pretty easy to do. You may want to look into that or just go straight to tanks. Your choice.

Are there fish you can and can not keep if you have plantss?

Yep. Do some research and plan out which plants you like and pick your fish around them. There are plenty of fish that won't bother the plants (either by eating or uprooting them) but there are plenty that will as well. Research is your best friend!

07-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Hi Everyone
First. Im so sorry xxxAngeloxxx
second Thanks Howze01 and xxxAngeloxxx
Great info and now I kinda have a idea what to research. Im going to go over to fish town on wed to look at tanks and lights Ill try to figure out then what would work best for me as far as tanks go. I will def keep all of you updated!!!

07-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Hey partobe, Check this link http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/
This will definitely help you a lot with all the info you need for a successful planted tank. It helped me out a lot when I started the hobby.
If you got any questions just hit me up.