partobe

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks Jeff
I bought flourish tabs and put 3 in it called for more but I figured my sand was supose to have fert in it. I also picked up the wrong bottle of flourish I meant to buy excel and picked up the bottle next to it flouris comprehensive supplement for the planted tank. It has trace elements iron mag calc and alot of other stuff. I been doing half of the recomended everyother day

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
The sand is specific for planted tanks as it is supposed to hold on to the ferts that you put in.
Flourish comprehensive contains only the micronutrients needed by plants. It does not have the macros (NPK Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium) which is also needed for proper plant growth.
Here is the line of seachem for the plant ferts. http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Flourish.html

I tried using just comprehensive before and it was not enough to make the plants look great. You can notice that they have nutrient deficiencies without the macros.

It may be a bit pricey to get all the fert line so you might want to consider this one.
http://rootmedic.net/
This is what I personally use as it is easier as the macros are just in one bottle.

Last edited:

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Now that you guys are mentioning ferts, I remember using the Flourish and Excel. I also tried those tabs that you stick in the substrate but didn't see much of anything from them. If you don't want to deal with a pressurized CO2 system you may want to consider something like this: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=co2+reactor&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=3412265159179349330&sa=X&ei=JHdEToOhJKXj0QGEpoXyBg&ved=0CEkQ8gIwAg

I used it and definitely saw results from it. I had 2 of them in my 55.

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Win and pacific has flourish excel in their store. Better to call though just to make sure.
I personally have no experience with excel as I used DIY CO2 sugar+yeast concoction in a 2L soda bottle initially then I went to the paintball CO2 set up.
You might want to consider the cheap DIY paintball CO2 rig. I have been using it for almost a year now and it works fine. Only had to refill the 20oz paintball tank every 5-6 mos. Which reminds me that I may have to get my tank refilled in a couple of weeks. its only around $6 bucks for a refill.

partobe

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi Everyone! Just picked up some plants that Mike, Philip and Wingo donated to my tank. I went over to Wingo's house this morn and he has some of the most incredible fish and tanks Ive ever seen. I could have stayed all day just looking at his tanks. He has tons of new babies as well. I also bought a light from him to go over a plant that I guess needs more light than I have to offer. Here are the pix. Thanks Guys.

Attachments

• 36 gallon plants completed 001.jpg
    36 gallon plants completed 001.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 101
  • 36 gallon plants completed 002.jpg
    36 gallon plants completed 002.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 96
  • 36 gallon plants completed 003.jpg
    36 gallon plants completed 003.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 36 gallon plants completed 004.jpg
    36 gallon plants completed 004.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 100
  • 36 gallon plants completed 005.jpg
    36 gallon plants completed 005.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 94

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
That low stuff in the front is Watersprite isn't it? I would thaink that eventually that's going to grow higer and block out the back of the tank. If it's not Watersprtie, nevermind:)

Didn't take too long to fill that tank up did it?

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
@partobe - glad you liked it. thanks.

@wingo - those are just the regular clip on desk lamps with 9 watt spiral daylight CFL's in each lamp.

@howze01 - thanks. Its actually peacock moss and Fissidens moss on the driftwood and trunk.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: