partobe

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi Everyone!
Im going today to get my water tested again for the 3rd time if everything is still stable I plan on buying fish next week. Ive come up with a list of fish and want your advise on whether this would work or not.
3 cory cat
8-10 cardinal tetra or Rummy nose tetra
6-8 different types of dwarf gouramis
10 algie eating shrimp.
I prob wont add the cory for awhile.
Im planning on doing 5-10 gallon water change each month.
Does this seem ok to all of you?
Right now my ph has stayed steady at 6.3-6.4 even tho my tap is 7.8.
any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I saw a lot of cory, cardinal tetra(they are tiny) in Win(Manhattan)but I think you said it's too far.
I love crystal shrimps more than any other shrimps. Bamboo shrimps are interesting too.
I used to like gouramis
When your tank matures more, you can get some ottos and siamese algae eaters

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I think the Gouramis would eat up the Crystal Shrimp. i would also cut back on the number of Gouramis. There really aren't that many (regularly available) of the Dwarf Gouramis and if it were me I would up the Tetras and lower the Gouramis. Never really been a huge Gourami fan either though. I ama huge Cory fan though. Any idea which you want? I had a group of the Sterbai Corys and they were awesome looking. A good sized group of Dwarf Corys is pretty interesting too. I see the Cory Hastatus pretty regularly.

Best advice I can give is, understock. There will be a day when you see THAT fish and have to have it but won't have any room left in your tank. Happens to everyone eventually.

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Just remember the only dwarf shrimp safe fish are Otocinclus catfish. All others will be a hazard to them.
I've had cardinals that harass the crystal reds and other dwarf shrimp species. If you plan to keep them together, be sure the shrimps have a lot of hiding places.
That issue led me to getting the smaller green neon tetra and other nano fish species plus its nice to see a large number of small fishes swimming together.
The smaller the mouth, the less likely your shrimp will get eaten but the tiny shrimplets will still be at risk too.

If you like gouramis or rainbows then amano shrimp or ghost shrimp will be some choices.

Last edited:

partobe

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks Jeff
Either of those shrimp are fine with me doesnt have to be the dwarf shrimp. What are nano fish? I thought cardinals were nano shrimp? I would be happy with several diffrent types of small fish but can only think of neon tetras

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
My tank currently has some chili rasboras, endler's live bearer, Galaxy rasbora aka Celestial pearl danio, green neon tetra and Otocinclus catfish. Most of these do not grow more than 1 1/2 inch.
I know i sent you a link of a list of fish species that stay small in one of your threads or probably a pm.

partobe

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks Jeff
so how long should the tank be up and running before I add shrimp?
Yes you did send me a link and it has giving me lots of new ideas. I like the idea of having several different types of tiny fish schools and dwarf shrimp.

partobe

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks Howze
Im going net wed or thur I figured I would give my tank another week just to be sure. Ill take a look at the endlers if they have any nxt week. Right now Im thinking cardinal or neon tetras(10-12) and some other small tetra or a small group of thread fin rainbow. I did some research on the thread fin and my only concern is I guess they like pristine water.

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
@wingo - my endlers are housed with my crystal reds and crystal blacks. The female endler which gets bigger sometimes bump in on the bigger ones during meal time as the compete with the food but generraly ignore the presence of the bigger shrimp.
There may be a few casualties on the tiny shrimplets but haven't seen one being actually eaten.

@partobe - I think the endlers are much nicer than guppies and smaller too (pure endler.) as howze01 said they look more natural. You are welcome to check them out here to see them in person.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: