Wolverine57

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.4%
246   4   0
Hi All ....recently, I just had some landscaping on my property, removals of 9-10 trees! Where the hole that was dugged up for the Koi pond, there were 4-5 trees removed and on the side as well, where I'm planning to build a play area for my daughter Zoe. Roots removed and level the ground and seeded for grass.

The current size of the hole you see is 11 x 17 x 2ft
Water volume (2798 gallons)

Things to buy
20 x 25 45 MIL Liner
Skimmer
Waterfall Filter
Pond Pump
Pond Skimmer
Flat rock and river pebble rock for decorating

If anyone knows anyone where to shop for the best prices...LMK

Okay...Back to the Pond hole...I still need to dig some more to get a min of 2ft. deep.

Estimated completion time, I'm hoping to get this Koi pond up and running within 2 week. So if anyone here who has any advice or input please feel free to input! And I'll keep you updated with details and pictures.
MyKoiPond_inthePoconos026.jpg

The PVC layed across was to help measured the pond hole.

MyKoiPond_inthePoconos034.jpg

MyKoiPond_inthePoconos030.jpg

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Can you go any deeper? I believe you may have to get down to about 3' to winter the fish without heaters or anything.

I've always avoided ponds in the front yard. Just seems like too much of a temptation to me. Nothing but the best luck to you!

JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
can you go any deeper? I believe you may have to get down to about 3' to winter the fish without heaters or anything.

I've always avoided ponds in the front yard. Just seems like too much of a temptation to me. Nothing but the best luck to you!

plus one, your pond liner seems like you can go 5' deep if you want
i went 5' deep in the deep end and i wish i did that all around
how are the animals in your area???
The way you have it any animal can just walk in and eat them.
Also dont put any small rocks on the bottom since it holds alot of crap and can buld ammonia

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Definitely need to get it down to at least 3' to winter and protect them, otherwise your just building an interactive buffet for raccoons. I would also get a large terracotta pipe section with a large flat rock to hide it (placed at the deepest point) so the fish have a place to hide if anything does try to get in there to eat them. If you want pointers or need help with equipment selection or proper filtration let me know. Teiring the sides of the pond will also give you places to add some different types of plants.

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I never thought of the pipe, that's a great idea!

Also good call with the shelf around the edge of the pond. It's a greaet place to put plants. I'd also keep an eye on those evergreens. They're small now but if they get big they may cause some problems.

My best piece of advice is make sure you really want to do this! Ponds can be just as much, if not more work, than a reef. My girlfriend bought a house with a pond and no matter how much I begged her she wouldn't just throw dirt in it. I've been battling algae in that thing for 2 seasons now. Somehow it's my problem now.....

Wolverine57

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.4%
246   4   0
Definitely need to get it down to at least 3' to winter and protect them, otherwise your just building an interactive buffet for raccoons. I would also get a large terracotta pipe section with a large flat rock to hide it (placed at the deepest point) so the fish have a place to hide if anything does try to get in there to eat them. If you want pointers or need help with equipment selection or proper filtration let me know. Teiring the sides of the pond will also give you places to add some different types of plants.
Will be going deeper up to 3" thank you a Jarrett for the advice.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
The sides should be straight up & down so the fish don't launch themselves out when mating. (they jump upwards when mating, sides with an incline tend to launch the fish OUT of the pond)

Tiered sides only become a staircase to racoons so it's easier for them to get in & out and eat your fish. Better to place pond plants on a stack of planting baskets if they require shallow water.

For safety, on the bottom of the pond, you can also add upside down milk crates with a hole cut in each side for the fish to swim in & out.

Are you putting a fence around it?
In many areas the local laws state ponds need to follow the same rules as a swimming pool regarding fencing and electricity safety.

Last edited:

Wolverine57

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.4%
246   4   0
I'm having a pond designer stop by to give me some advise, and ordering the necessary equipmet to start the buiding process. First I need to make the hole bigger. As for the fence I will look into that, but a little to premature at this moment. Still in all appreciate your input.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Howze01 - how much of the pond is shaded? UV? What are you using to get rid of the algae?

Kathy - that's why I mentioned the pipe at the bottom. As long as the fish have a place to get into at the bottom where they have overhead protection and can't be visible to the raccoons they'll be fine. Raccoons are easily discouraged if it's going to take any kind of real effort on their part. They'd rather just go knock over the garbage than really try.

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Howze01 - how much of the pond is shaded? UV? What are you using to get rid of the algae?

It's not shaded much at all. She broke the UV in the filter I bought. She won't let me use chemicals to control the algae.

As you can see, she isn't helping me much. I finally got the OK to put a little Maple next it. It's going to be awhile before it grows enough to shade it. I was also thinking of trying Barley straw to control the algae.

I spent an entire day over theere the other day. I completely emptied the pond, dried out the rocks and rescaped it. Haven't been over there in a couple days so I'm not sure if she filled it up again. Still deciding what we actually want to do in the tank. I'd rather do a few native little fish or something like that. Not sure what her choice wil be though.

I hate that pond.....

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I'm pretty sure the ideal shade is 70% of the pond surface or close to that. Otherwise that much sunlight in a pond that isn't kept completely balanced is going to just grow algae. Barley straw could help curb it but I doubt it would solve the problem. The UV, if sized correctly, would be much more effective at keeping the pond clear.

JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
It's not shaded much at all. She broke the UV in the filter I bought. She won't let me use chemicals to control the algae.

As you can see, she isn't helping me much. I finally got the OK to put a little Maple next it. It's going to be awhile before it grows enough to shade it. I was also thinking of trying Barley straw to control the algae.

I spent an entire day over theere the other day. I completely emptied the pond, dried out the rocks and rescaped it. Haven't been over there in a couple days so I'm not sure if she filled it up again. Still deciding what we actually want to do in the tank. I'd rather do a few native little fish or something like that. Not sure what her choice wil be though.

I hate that pond.....

You should never drain a pond 100%, you kill good bacteria
if you have good filters your pond will always be clear even if sun hits it all day like mine. I don't even run a UV and pond clear 365 days of the year
sand filters,bio filters and bottom drain is the key
My pond is way easy then any reef tank!!!!
the key is to take your time and not rush it just like a reef tank or you end up spending a ton of money and lose koi all the time
The worse thing is to buy koi that you can't see because pod is green !!!

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
if you have good filters your pond will always be clear even if sun hits it all day like mine. I don't even run a UV and pond clear 365 days of the year
the key is to take your time and not rush it just like a reef tank or you end up spending a ton of money and lose koi all the time

I know about the bacteria and all. Believe me, if you had seen it you'd have done the same. Sometimes it's just easier to start over rather than try and fix what's wrong with it. There were no fish in it just a couple frogs.
Never even heard of a bottom drain. Unfortunately the pond was already there when she moved in so we just have to make do with how it is. I think I will have it running well this time, just needed a clean slate to get it there.

plateboy3293

Plate Collector
Rating - 100%
82   0   0

Hate to break it to you but not all rules apply to all ponds. I drain mine yearly to catch the babies out of it and within a week I have my breeders back in the pond never lost a fish excluding koi under 4in. They get crushed or jump.

LongIslandAndy

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Hi, your going to read and hear lots of things about ponds. Jarrett suggestion to use Koiphen.com is a good idea. I have a .pdf file on how to build a pond but it is too large to attach. If your interested send me your e-mail and I will send it too you. Have fun

asianer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Hi All ....recently, I just had some landscaping on my property, removals of 9-10 trees! Where the hole that was dugged up for the Koi pond, there were 4-5 trees removed and on the side as well, where I'm planning to build a play area for my daughter Zoe. Roots removed and level the ground and seeded for grass.

The current size of the hole you see is 11 x 17 x 2ft
Water volume (2798 gallons)

Things to buy
20 x 25 45 MIL Liner
Skimmer
Waterfall Filter
Pond Pump
Pond Skimmer
Flat rock and river pebble rock for decorating

If anyone knows anyone where to shop for the best prices...LMK

Okay...Back to the Pond hole...I still need to dig some more to get a min of 2ft. deep.

Estimated completion time, I'm hoping to get this Koi pond up and running within 2 week. So if anyone here who has any advice or input please feel free to input! And I'll keep you updated with details and pictures.
MyKoiPond_inthePoconos026.jpg

The PVC layed across was to help measured the pond hole.

MyKoiPond_inthePoconos034.jpg

MyKoiPond_inthePoconos030.jpg

Looking forward to this "build" Johnny, please post pics along the way...

Wolverine57

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.4%
246   4   0
Here is an udate hole is completely dugged up! Dam my back hurts...anyone have any pain killers! added 3 bags of Play sand, underlayment and finally the 45m firestone liner. Will attach to the skimmer and waterfall tomorrow. Should be able to start adding water tomorrow.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: