nycfatcow

Rating - 95.8%
23   1   0
I have a 55 gallon planted freshwater tank and im running 260 watts of power compacts right now. One of the bulbs recently blew and I was considering making an upgrade to LED lights since PCs cost so much to replace. I saw this on ebay which seems too good to be true.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-48-800-...537?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d088ff21

Double bright version:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/48-51-Aquar...544?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5890603288

Do you guys think that this light would have enough light for the plants? and also do you think that this light fixture will get too hot? I didnt see any fans built in. Thanks

Last edited:

wschang812

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
i have the double bright version for my FOWLR. i am happy with it. not sure if it can sustain plants since i don't have any, but it looks like it is bright enough to do the job.

nycfatcow

Rating - 95.8%
23   1   0
what kind of plants do you have? I have some swords, dwarf sags, rotalia, tiger lilies and penny wort right and im running 220 watts of PC's. I wonder how they would do if i switched over to LEDs?

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
That is the Beamswork LED from ebay.
How high is your tank?
The double bright version is actually called the reefbright. I have one of the 36" long fixtures of the beamswork reefbright (2nd link you provided) a used it to keep some easy sps in my tank. It is at about 12" from sand bed though. It's just a shallow tank.
At that height it's supposed to have par levels of around 150 so it is supposed to be highlight for a planted tank at 12" height.
It will be ok for low light plants andmmaybe even medium light plants.
I think your plants will be fine under the reefbrights.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
Jeff... no... the reefbrights are a different fixture from the double brights...
the double brights does not reach the 10k and stays on the warmer side of lighting for algae/plant growth. Which would be better in a sense for FW tanks.

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Skene.. I was actually referring to the link that was labeled as double bright in the first post and telling it was actually a reefbright and not double bright.

Beamswork actually has no equivalent to the double bright.
They only have the single bright and reef capable equivalent of marineland.

There are guys using 10k lighting for plant on the planted tank forum but the 10k is not optimal for planted tanks. The 6500k is best suited for planted tanks.

Maybe look into the beamswork submersible 1w led bars. The white they have are advertised as 6500k.
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=300696220193&index=2&nav=SEARCH&nid=39986500238

Last edited:

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I heard neutral and warm were better to mix with royal blue for reef. My led's should be here tomorrow so will try to post some pictures when I can. I ordered two d120's (55 x 3w custom DIY mix).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: