MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I thought I'd change it up a bit and try out FW planted. I want to start with a 9g with a CO2 supplement then look into upgrading to another 40g cube. Ultimate goal is to have something similar to Rookies tank but with a FW planted and a coral tank both 40g cubes on a huge 8' long book case stand with one tank on either side.

Here is the starting order:
planted_order.png

Anyone know any plant stores around here? Else I have to order from LiveAquaria.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Have you actually seen the Eheim tank in person? I do not like it at all-the glass is not even and some of them has runs! You can go to Pacific to check many brand of rimless tanks(they also sell Eheim but don't like that tank either) or go to my neighbour Rainbow Aquarium in Flushing to check out some Fluval nanos. Not sure whether their prices are close match with Drs Foster & Smith.

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I don't know what kinds of plants that you're looking for but I still have 2 fw planted tanks setup and am willing to donate some plants to your tank when you're setup and cycled...or if you wish you can donate a frag or 2...

I have:
fissidens fontanus
Anubias barteri nana 'Petite'
amazon swords
dwarf chain swords
windlov java ferns
java ferns
java moss
christmas moss
taiwan moss
subwassertang
weeping moss
etc.

Locally I haven't found to many stores that carry a wide variety of plants, but plantedtank.net is a good source and there are many locals that sell trade plants as well as ship, Pacific in Manhattan sells some plants/fw fish and Win Tropical has a few basic/starter plants as well as a healthy selection of fw fish, aquariumplants.com has a good selection of plants and have even gotten some nice place that I ordered from a company in China off of ebay...99% of the plants survived shipping and when they didn't they sent replacements/refunded.

Also have a d.i.y. paintball CO2 tank that I'd be willing to trade...lmk.

Can post/send pics of the tanks if you want to choose something out of them...

Post pics of this tank setup too...

What are you going with for lighting?

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
plants

What are you going with for lighting?

Im using the 7watt LED that comes with the Eheim, but thats not enough for a 9g. I was thinking the set up will be close to my AIs and might get some light from that to make up for it. We shall see.

Im running co2-less for now to see how it goes. If i get a 40g in the futue in going to go the whole $400 pH controller co2 injection system deal. But thats in the future.

Ill check out those plant places. I need some drift wood too :eek: Funny I pretty much grew up around Lake George and now im looking to BUY driftwood. Irony.

APB: Worse case im out $100 on the tank. I can live with that if it sucks :)

guarda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Nice, saw some incredible setups in Tokyo aquariums but never had the balls (or time) to turn my fluval edge into a planted tank.

There's also that bait shop on 86th st in Brooklyn. When I was in there to look at the red carpet I saw plants and shrimp.

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
as meangreeneyes mentioned, visit the plantedtank website. Tons of info on getting that first plantedtank set up right.

As with reefing, lighting is also important. The stock lamp that comes with the eheim will most likely put you under lowlight. Not sure if that led has optics as with different optics you will have different par levels under the same wattage which may alter your tank beingnlow, medium or high light.
If you would want to keep a better selection other than mosses and anubias, i suggest to upgrade the lights.

For plants, If you don't mind them shipped, there are a lot of really great plants from hobbyists in the TPT forum. Lots of choices too. If you don't mind paying retail, pacific has a decent selection but a bit more expensive than othet retail shops.
IMO, getting them from hobbyists is the way to go.
Be sure to research first what plants you want to keep so you can tailor your lights and whole tank set up optimal to the plants needs.

@guarda - the edge is a nice little tank to set up as planted but their lighting definitely sucks.
I've had the edge set up for maybe a year as planted before converting to reef then breaking it down and selling it.
That small opening is a challenge when scaping and doing maintainance.
I still have a pic of it in my fluval edge thread in the nano tanks.

Last edited:

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
as meangreeneyes mentioned, visit the plantedtank website. Tons of info on getting that first plantedtank set up right.

I was looking to buy another 7w LED for the Eheim, effectively having to of the same fixtures bringing me to 14w, but I might be better off just buying a small separate fixture. 9g tank, so i need like a 20watt bulb? I dont want to go high light so i need to co2 supplement all the time/have algae.

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Maybe you could consider going par30 led if led is what you want for lighting.
For cheaper lighting I'd go with 1 6500k 13w or 15w spiral cfl and a desk lamp which puts you at low-medium lighting for that size tank depending on height you set it up.

Check out this old thread of mine when I had my planted tank set ups so you can see the spiral cfl lighting I had over a 20gal long. 1 will work for your set up.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=108335&page=3

Last edited:

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
fw1.jpg

fw2.jpg

fw3.jpg

fw4.jpg

fw5.jpg

fw6.jpg

fw7.jpg

fw8.jpg

fw9.jpg

fw10.jpg

Here is the barebones setup. Im working out of town the rest of the week, but im hoping to get the soil in and buy some plants this weekend. But Im still waiting for my driftwood to come in.

More updates as they happen.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: