A

Anonymous

coprolite":9apme8r9 said:
Lookin good Chucky J. Wait until ya'll see my next one. :)

That the cold tank, or another project?

In other news, the plants never showed yesterday. I had them shipped to the school Mer teaches at, and according to UPS tracking, the driver attempted to deliver them at 8:30pm last night. Kind of pissed me off since UPS by their own policies isn't supposed to deliver later than 7pm to residences, and by close of business to anyplace else. Hopefully they'll show up today in a timely manner.

A

Anonymous

...and UPS pulled the same crap again today; 7:45 and they still haven't attempted delivery. Won't let me pick up the box tonight, as it's still on the truck. Won't let me pick up the box tomorrow, they don't have saturday pick up hours at the UPS office the truck is based out of.

Best I can hope for now is having the plants monday evening, after five full days in transit. I am not hopeful.

A

Anonymous

Damn, that really sucks. I hope they're in better shape than they've a right to be. :?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, now I'm fuming mad. UPS claims they tried to deliver the package friday and again today during normal business hours when Meredith and dozens of other employees were there, and says no one was available to sign for it.

This is retarded. I'm never receiving this shipment at all - it's being returned to sender as deliveree unavailable. And because UPS claims no one was available when they made their fictional delivery attempts, I'm completely out the cost of this one.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After nearly a dozen calls to UPS I finally got to talk to someone who could be bothered to actually do their job. After twenty seconds of research it was easily determined that although the package was addressed to Mer's school on Rockaway Avenue, for some reason the driver decided that he knew better and the package was clearly supposed to go to Rockaway Parkway instead. Nevermind the shipping label, nevermind the two are in completely different zip codes, miles apart. Now the vendor, once I get a hold of them to tell them, just has to file a claim with UPS.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never ever ever ever EVER ship live plants with UPS. FedEx or USPS only.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
coprolite":1xqjpkbv said:
Never ever ever ever EVER ship live plants with UPS. FedEx or USPS only.

I know. Unfortunately it wasn't my choice; the company only ships plant orders UPS, period, and I couldn't talk them into sending them fedex even though I would have happily paid the cost.

The good new is that I finally managed to get a hold of the vendor today and since the entire debacle was UPS fault, they intend to replace the order. Still got to work out the details, but I've got to give them a thumbs up for the way they're handling it. Now if only I can talk them into fedex for the replacements....

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I got a replacement package shipped to me on saturday. Ended up as kind of a mixed bag. The calathea came through okay, and so did a cryptocoryne I'd ordered to put growing half-in and half-out of the water. The sundew though.... well, it looks bad. I'm hoping it comes through, but really I'm not sure. The pitcher plant made it through shipping with no problems but it's ending up as a houseplant. Just didn't look right where I wanted to put it in the tank, so now it's going to live on my windowsill.

But.... in between all this, California Carnivores got some utricularia sandersonii in stock so I scooped some up. Where I'd intended the pitcher to go the Plant Of The Angry Bunnies will end up instead :D

Those plants are coming USPS priority mail, and I should have them in a couple days. I'll throw some new photos up next weekend after they get here, and by then maybe the sundew will have recovered as well.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why u. sandersonii gets called Angry Bunnies....

Utricularia%20sandersonii.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the U. sandersonii, but be warned it could be the start of an obsession - there are many beautiful varieties of Utric to choose from!

As for the sundew, give it time. Mine was a rescue from a garden center and looked terrible when I bought it. Given lots of light and warmth it recovered really nicely. Needed lots of light though. Ended up with 36w of PC close over it, despite the fact it was on a sunny windowsill.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and I was told that the Utric would spread like no-one's business, so keep your eye on it....

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Escaped Ape":ymzjhhig said:
I really like the U. sandersonii, but be warned it could be the start of an obsession - there are many beautiful varieties of Utric to choose from!

There are indeed. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, most of the ones I'd really be interested in are almost impossible to get here in the US.... I'd really love to get u. reniformis, for example, but just about the only way I could would be to get it from europe.

As for the sundew, give it time. Mine was a rescue from a garden center and looked terrible when I bought it. Given lots of light and warmth it recovered really nicely. Needed lots of light though. Ended up with 36w of PC close over it, despite the fact it was on a sunny windowsill.

That's encouraging, thanks. Mine does look really awful, but here's hoping. I've got 48 watts of t5 lighting on this tank, but I've been thinking of throwing another 48w over it as well. I've got the second fixture just lying around, only reason I hadn't added it so far was not being sure if it would be too much light for the fern and the selaginella (which no longer resides in the tank, anyways). Everything in the tank seems to be doing fine with just 48w, but there are some things like the HC that I know would grow significantly faster with the second fixture added on. I might just go ahead and toss it on the tank tonight when I get home.

[Edit to add: Oh, and this is drosera adelae, one of the three Queensland species of sundew. They don't like as much light as the rest of the family does, although d. adelae tolerates it better then the other two species from the area.]

Oh, and I was told that the Utric would spread like no-one's business, so keep your eye on it....

Heh. I'm hoping it does. If it really takes off I'd be content to let it have most of the tank :D

Had to do weeding last night. Three or four different plants have hitchhiked in with plants I bought and were really springing up.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking forward to seeing a lovely water meadow of U. sandersonii!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: