A

Anonymous

[Pics in the next day or two, I just did the initial planting yesterday. I'll snap some photos once I recharge my digital's batteries.]

I've moved my p. cyanodorsalis into a five gallon tank - they're still so small, they were dwarfed by the 20 gallon I was keeping them in. But that left me with an empty 20 gallon tank, and after quite of bit of thinking I decided to try it as a paludarium.

What got me thinking about it in the first place was coming across some Japanese Rush (Acorus spp.) in a local pet shop one day, and Meredith asking if we could buy some. I explained to her that it wasn't really an aquarium plant, but a true marginal... the roots need to be submerged, but at least a good part of the leaves have to be above the water's surface or it doesn't do well. Then a little bit later I started thinking about HC, the popular carpetting plant used in planted tanks; it too is really a marginal that has to stay damp but grows better above the water line then below it. And that got me thinking about aquatic plant nurseries, and how half the plants used in planted tanks are actually cultivated in emersed set ups. And that got the wheels turning on the idea of a paludarium 'bog', concentrating on marginal plants that really like to be wet.

There isn't an awful lot of info on the web on setting up a paludarium (plenty on vivariums, but paludariums not so much) ... and I have to admit, I've kind of ignored most of what is there in favor of trying out things my own way on this tank. I spent a lot of time trying to research different ways of building the land/water interface and learning about some very involved methods folks have used. In the end though I went with one of the simplest and oldest ideas out there, as summed up from a page on brianstropicals.com...

...The pond is made by simply not putting gravel or substrate in that area.

How radical, huh? It does have several disadvantages, chief amongst them that you really can't have a steep slope for the shoreline. That means taking up a good amount of tank real estate with the slope with the shoreline, which is unfortunate. It did mean not messing around with eggcrate, Great Stuff expanding foam, mixing gravel with silicon, or any of the other ideas people have come up with though.

A piece of flat cork bark was used as in-tank background, siliconed to the back pane of the aquarium.

I'm also using several leftover bags of Aqua Design Amano's Amazonia Aquasoil as the primary substrate in this tank. Aquasoil is loaded with nutrients and is a clay-based soil that I know grows aquatic plants exceptionally well, so I couldn't see any reason not to use it. The soil layer above the waterline also has a small amount of coconut coir and tree fern fiber mixed into it, to help it retain it's shape and not shift. Also the coir wicks water up from lower in the substrate, keeping most of the above-the-waterline Aquasoil moist.

A powerhead equipped with a sponge over it's intake has been buried in the back left corner of the tank, it's output is attached to a length of hose which terminates in one end of a hollow tube of cork bark that I've cut open a bit. It functions as a sort of waterfall/streambed, recirculating the water and pumping it back into the main pool area.

The pond area is about four inches deep an holds about 2.5 gallons of water; the total volume of water in the tank is about 4 gallons. Mer's really on me to put a couple of neons or something in there, but the small water volume makes me hesitate. I'm planning on covering the pond in duckweed, so nutrient control really shouldn't be an issue, but still...

I have an ultrasonic fogger remotely feeding into the tank; it runs for 15 minutes six times a day. Visually it's a really, really nice effect, and it seems to go a ways towards keeping the tank's humidity levels high. I'd also picked up an automated misting system, but I've decided not to use it. The pump it uses is much too loud for a tank in the living room, even if it only would run for a couple minutes a day. Right now I'm manually misting the tank with a hand mister twice a day, but I have a neat little manual-pump mister with remote nozzles being delivered in the next couple of days which should simplify things again... just position the remote nozzles in place, then whenever I want to mist just pump the plunger on the bottle a couple of times and it mists on it's own. Tank humidity varies a bit, but runs between 70-90% relative humidity.

For lighting I'm using one 2 x 24w Nova Extreme T5 fixture. I have a second one lying around I can add if it turns out I need to, but I'm trying it with just the one fixture first.

I just put plants in yesterday. So far they consist of:
HC
Riccia
Japanese Rush (Acorus)
Utricularia longifolia (carnivorous and it flowers)
Begonia foliosa (just a sprig, we'll see how it does)
Korean Rock Fern
Oak-leaf creeping ficus (a very, very tiny leaved ivy that I plan to have cover the back wall)
Selaginella plana (a moss fern)
Duckweed (to cover the surface of the pond)
Anubias nana 'petite' (the only plant actually on the bottom of the pond)

As you can see from the list, most of the plants listed are aquarium plants that should do well emersed and semi-emersed as long as they are kept moist. I'm not sure how the selaginella, the fern and the begonia foliosa will do in such a wet environment and substrate... I'm giving them a try and will see how they do.

Photos will follow in the next day or so. It's only gotten the initial planting so far, so nothing's had a chance to grow in yet.

A

Anonymous

Wow, what a teaser! Sounds like an excellent idea Charles. Looking forward to the picts! 8)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Escaped Ape":yiyi55qc said:
Wow, what a teaser!

Nah, this is a tease....

Attachments

• tease.jpg
    tease.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 320
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice teaser shot. Looking forward to this project too. That mister sure looks like it's working fine.

FWIW your FW tank inspired me to retry planted tanks.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gman0526":3htjoh7b said:
That mister sure looks like it's working fine.

Heh. That's after running for about 60 seconds. If I'd waited another minute before taking the pic, the tank would have been wall-to-wall cloud with visibility of like 1/2" :D

FWIW your FW tank inspired me to retry planted tanks.

No kidding? Cool. Did you post the tank up anywhere? How's it been going?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No kidding, you did. :D

I have to compile some pictures and will make a thread here with some of the tanks.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm afraid real pics are going to have to wait til this weekend; Real Life has thrown some wrinkles at me this week that have been eating up my time. But in the interest of providing at least a consolation prize, I'm attaching a cell phone pic of the tank I grabbed this morning. Not a very good pic, but hopefully it'll tide you all over til saturday-ish when I can get some real photos taken.

Those new pressure-bottle mist sprayers I ordered arrived. I got two. One has just a 10 oz reservoir, but has a 20" length of high pressure tubing for it's output, allowing the misting head to be permanently mounted and positioned in the tank. The other has a 2 liter reservoir, but no remote spray head and no way that I can see to retrofit one. They both work exceptionally well, I just wish I could combine the remote spray head of the one with the large reservoir of the other. I'll try to figure something out, but either way these are more than good enough to replace the automated system for this tank.

Attachments

• palu.jpg
    palu.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 280
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking very promising. This shot has given you another 24 hours. Once those 24 hours are I up, I will need more. 8)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys, I had some unexpected company yesterday that showed up and kept me busy. I'm headed out to the opera in about an hour this morning, but depending on what time I get back I'll try to get pics up tonight.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for not getting any pics up yet; my weekend got eaten up by things I hadn't planned on. Damned opera singers. Soon as I get home from work tonight I'll break out the camera, I promise.

In the meantime I figured I'd post a small update. Mostly the plants seem to be doing well. The duckweed is going like gangbusters, of course, but so's the korean rock fern, the begonia foliosa, the riccia (which is a relief, it came in half dead when I received it) and the utricularia longifolia. The ivy has been a bit slower, but it's starting to send out new leaves. The HC is just starting to send out runners but I'm not anticipating any problems with it, and the acorus is just sort of hanging out while it gets used to being transplanted. The only plant that's not doing well is is the selaginella plana. I'm not even sure why, but my best guess is that it's simply getting too much light. It's tips are getting burnt looking and it doesn't look nearly as glossy and full as it did initially. I'm pretty sure I'll need to find a replacement for it.

It's actually the trickiest item in the tank to replace, for a couple reasons. The first is I really want something tall and bushy to fill the back left corner it occupies. The second is that it occupies the highest elevation in the tank, which means it has the driest substrate.... but go down just 3" into that substrate and you hit the water table. So I need to find something tall, bushy, tolerant of direct light, that likes moist-to-wet conditions but doesn't depend on them since the first few inches of aquasoil in that spot are comparatively quite dry.

I'm considering the following possibilities at the moment: monolima primuflora, calathea musaica or c. concinnea, begonia var. 'little darling', oxalis rubra 'red', various pitcher plants, possibly more ferns, or, from the aquatic side of things, maybe a cryptocoryne or larger anubias. If anyone has any input/suggestions for something that would fit the bill here, I'd love to hear them.

I'm also wondering if the back section of land, in a small strip beyond the cork tube 'log', is actually planted too low and flat. Right now apart from the starter oak-leaf ficus that I intend to have grow onto the background, the only thing back there is riccia. I'm considering moving the riccia onto the wet wood of the cork tube itself and planting somewhat taller, bushier plants back there. Again, suggestions/input is welcome - though I'll understand if you all wait to see the pics first :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the pics. Taken in a bit of a hurry, but to make up for it I also took some video footage that I'll post a link to below :D

This will be over several posts, as the three attachment per post limit demands.

Attachments

• full3.jpg
    full3.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 210
  • full1.jpg
    full1.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 210
  • full2.jpg
    full2.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 213
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More...

Attachments

• full-background.jpg
    full-background.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 213
  • full-right.jpg
    full-right.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 208
  • full-sideways.jpg
    full-sideways.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 209
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple shots focussing on the cork tube I used for the return. One end is buried in the aquasoil, under which is a Rio 900 pump whose output feeds into the cork tube via vinyl tubing. The cork tube was cut up with a dremel so the returning water would be visible.

Attachments

• cork tube.jpg
    cork tube.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 209
  • cork tube return.jpg
    cork tube return.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 207
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plants...

Attachments

• begonia foliosa.jpg
    begonia foliosa.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 211
  • fern.jpg
    fern.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 210
  • duckweed.jpg
    duckweed.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 208
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More plants...

Attachments

• utricularia.jpg
    utricularia.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 205
  • riccia.jpg
    riccia.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 206
  • oakleafficus.jpg
    oakleafficus.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 206
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And now shots of the fogger at work...

Attachments

• fogger starting.jpg
    fogger starting.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 208
  • fogger-1minute.jpg
    fogger-1minute.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 206
  • fogger-2minutes.jpg
    fogger-2minutes.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 209

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: