DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
First Bloom this yr 2010

These are three no name lillies. White, pink, and darker pink lillies. They are all at least ten years old.

firstbloom1%20(Small).jpg

firstbloom2%20(Small).jpg

firstbloom3%20(Small).jpg

firstbloom4%20(Small).jpg

Last edited:

DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
How come all my koi eat my lily's,not even close to that many as you have
i wish they looked like yours,even the skippy looks great
i need to come and take some plants from you,lol

Those Hyacianths grow like weeds. i bought one, now look at em! The roots are at least 1.5' long.

My Koi are babies now because I had a die out of all my koi last winter.
Still the goldfish which are almost ten yrs old n btwn 6"-8", will tear up the roots of the Hyacianth if they were in the main pond.

DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Fall n winter pond maintenance

I've always wondered, how do you maintain it during the winter? How do the fish survive? Is it heated?

First week in September I change the fish's diet to wheatgerm based food. This basically fattens them up. As the temp drops I slow their feeding to once daily then once every other day and so on, until they stop eating or if the temp drops to 50 degrees. I dont feed them again until late March.

I jump into the pond mid-sept and cut all the lilly pads down to its base as well as all the other plant stems. I lower their pots down to the bottom of the pond about 4' deep. I setup a water fountain to fill the void in the middle of the pond. I also do a 30% water change.

At about 40 degrees I shut down all the pumpsn topoff system. atr this time I disconnect the pumps, the UV sterilizer, n bring them into the garage for storage. I use this time to do annual maintaince on the pumps.

As the leaves begin to fall off the trees, I put up a pvc pipe fencing up n around the pond with a netting that covers the entire pond including the waterfall.

Mid-winter in full frost about six inches of ice forms on top of the ice, sometimes you could see the fish swimming below the ice. For gas exchange I have a heater which only keeps a 12" hole on the ice.

DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Late august pictures

Here the skippy filter is completely covered by the Hyacinth and Parrot feather. The water is crystal clear. Funny though that the fish did not spawn this summer. Just beyond the filter and the pond is my peach tree, which on the other hand, produced the most sweetest peaches in yrs!
pondsept2010.jpg

pondsept20102.jpg

pondsept20103.jpg

pondsept20104.jpg

pondsept20105.jpg

DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Nice I have a pond too, well its my moms but I take care of it, I love your pond though. have you ever had any baby's. Its fun when you do :)

I have some baby Koi from last yr's spawning, before his/her parents and family passed this pass winter :(

Only one Koi survived, so I bought two this spring. Every yr the carp spawn and ton of fry are everywhere. I think that was the problem, overcrowding.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: