Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I'm thinking about setting up a 120 gal fresh water tank. I need some ideas on fish selection preferrably schooling fishes. I kept African Cichlids years ago i want to try something else that is colorfull such as Jewel Cichlid, Ram Cichlids and Killfishes to name a few.Open to all suggetions thank you.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I use to have a 125 freshwater with both blue and gold ram chiclids, They are calm enough to keep with tetras and hatchet fish and other fish that are peaceful. Think I had 8 different cory cats in there as well and something like 12 different small schools of tetras, a school of danios and 2 schools of hatchet fish one silver and one marbled. The marbled prefer some top water plants like lily pads or overhanging branches. The silvers stay out in the open water. They are both top water fish, The tetras and danios are mid water and the cory's are bottom.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I would say the tank must be planted and

for the tank bottom
-a group of kuhi loach(other loach are too aggressive), these do not attack other fish at all
-a group of various cory cats.

for tank surface
-a group of zebra danio (schooling) including the Glo fish
-a group of large "turquoise rainbow", not sure if that's what they called, they are very fast swimming fish and look like danio. (schooling and constantly chasing)

for mid tank
- a group of cherry barb
or
-a group of tetra
or
-a group of Praecox rainbow, the blue red fin kind (they will not school though after they are used to the tank
or
-a group of axelrodi rainbow

A group of discuss will be good but requirements are not too compatible to the fish above even though they can co-exist with care.

Last edited:

reefprobe

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree I like to stay away from all Barbs I like the Rainbows and Serpae Tetras(Longfins) are a great Idea. And add a small school of clown loaches to eat any snails that may come with the plants. And some ottocyclis algae eaters. I also like the glo danio idea a school maybe 20-30 mixed 3 colors. This tank just keeps getting better.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
IF you are looking for schooling fish you should get clown loaches, as they do school and stay on the bottom of the tank playing follow the leader.
Rainbow fish look nice if you do a planted tank.
Discus are nice looking, however you do need to keep up on your WC and keep quality water, anyhoo they are much easier to keep these days as opposed to years ago.
Giant danios also look nice as they are a upper column schooling fish.
stay away from barbs and most tetras as they tend to be like damselfish.
But if you would like to keep a simple tank... I would suggest just getting a tank of Frontosa. When these cichlids get big, they show a nice blue/white coloration.

HTH

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Thanks fellows, i'm considering African Cichlids once again .Can you mix different lake species together ?

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I got a 55 with african cichlids now...love the colors and activity they give. My second choice would be angel fish. They come in many colors and get quite big but are peaceful....so that leaves you options for many small schooling fish too.

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I got a 55 with african cichlids now...love the colors and activity they give. My second choice would be angel fish. They come in many colors and get quite big but are peaceful....so that leaves you options for many small schooling fish too.
I wouldnt be so quick to call angels peacefull! Ive seen some pretty nasty angels in my time. I had a marbled angel that took out a danio on me! Any fish has the potential of being mean!

reefprobe

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH I thought you wanted to get away from Africans.......But if your going that way by all means thats totally the way I would go load the tank up with a mix of Malawi, Tangynika and some Victorian lots of lace rock caves nooks and crannys some tall plastic plants in the background. I love Africans just don't understock always overload otherwise they get too territorial and slowly kill each other off one by one. Good Luck!!!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: