niko13

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has any1 used spectraquartz for yet..?
Should i get fine or coarse?

I wanted to use it for african cichilds is that good?
Or if there another sand thats better for them?
Wanted something dark colored

Thanks.......

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Dark colored substrate is teh absolute worst as soon as those fish start pooping it will show up everywhere and you will regret it. Also stay away from sand. Your best bet and what I personally always used and think is the best looking is florida crushed coral the flawless white kind not the one w/ the shells personally I don't like the look. I think I might have a bag still. PM me how much you need and I will check. Also there is pics in my album showing some set ups using the crushed coral.

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
Triggerman is absolutely right I have been a fan and have done cichlids for many years before salt. and Florida crushed coral is the best and it buffers the p.h. As well and it's not jagged enough to hurt them and if it does they heal well cichlids are very hardy and at some point or another will show scratches on their bodies, get the coral, it's easy to syphon and it looks nice as well .

Good stuff trig.

niko13

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks 4 the info....guess im goin with it
Just wondering if u ever heard of any1 trying the spectraquartz out or that eco cichild sand???
I tested my tap and it was about 7.8-7.9 PH

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: