• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

What do you want in the top section of the marketplace?

• Member Sales

Votes: 94 75.2%
  • Vendor Sales

Votes: 20 16.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 11 8.8%
  • I don't use the marketplace.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
All great ideas. I would follow craigslist design. Simple and effective to navigate by location.

When you start a for sale thread you can add the following options.

Title*

Body*

Price*

Location* (drop down menu)

Etc.

* must fill in

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
There should be a fee to use the marketplace.

That sounds like the worst idea I've read in three pages.

Why would you charge people? I think you will see a massive decline in over all MR posts and users. I agree that a lot of people just use the market, but isnt that the point of a market - to be open for all to use.

What is your argument for charging people to use it? I know a lot of people that come here everyday and post free, but would never pay to sell anything on this forum. I would just go to RC and give them the traffic.

If you charge for the 'privilege' to sell something, you will come off as greedy and i can see nothing positive in the long run coming from it except a decrease in traffic and a hit to the community.

Thoughts?

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0

Why would you charge people? I think you will see a massive decline in over all MR posts and users. I agree that a lot of people just use the market, but isnt that the point of a market - to be open for all to use.

What is your argument for charging people to use it? I know a lot of people that come here everyday and post free, but would never pay to sell anything on this forum. I would just go to RC and give them the traffic.

If you charge for the 'privilege' to sell something, you will come off as greedy and i can see nothing positive in the long run coming from it except a decrease in traffic and a hit to the community.

Thoughts?
]]

So you are saying that you would leave this site if we required a donation to use the market? :scratchch

This is a direct way to discourage stealth vendors, people who only join here to sell and also curb the spamming issue in the market. Manhattan Reefs is more than just a place to sell unfortunately too many people join only for this reason.

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
]]

So you are saying that you would leave this site if we required a donation to use the market? :scratchch

This is a direct way to discourage stealth vendors, people who only join here to sell and also curb the spamming issue in the market. Manhattan Reefs is more than just a place to sell unfortunately too many people join only for this reason.

What is the negative aspect of 'stealth vendors'? You are saying a $20 donation will stop these people from posting and making thousands of buyers? Which isnt a bad thing, mind you.

What is the issue with having people just joining to sell to community members? How is this hurting the community? Or decreasing the quality of MR posts (too late)? Im just trying to understand your points, can you go into detail?

You will never get rid of me, Chief.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0

Thoughts?

+1 on that too

Og Drogon

Freshwater monster
Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
Sorry I should rephrase my above statement. I feel that in order to use the market you should be a donor to the site with a minimum donation of $20/year.

Can that be financed ?? O_0 j/k

I think some type of restriction should be in the market place, (minimum post, donation, something) it does hurt to see people's number one post be a forsale post :-(
Even if it is a good deal.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
While I agree members should want to donate to the site (and VERY few do), I don't think a fee is away to go. I also like the idea of a minimum post count to Sell in the marketplace, but acknowledge the BS post problem and modding headache it would cause.

Stealth vendors are a very real problem for the entire community because it significantly takes business away from our paying vendors who do pony up and support the site. Stealth vendors suck up profits and give nothing back hurting MR. They are also spineless cowards IMO flaunting the site rules and stealing from the community.

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
While I agree members should want to donate to the site (and VERY few do), I don't think a fee is away to go. I also like the idea of a minimum post count to Sell in the marketplace, but acknowledge the BS post problem and modding headache it would cause.

Stealth vendors are a very real problem for the entire community because it significantly takes business away from our paying vendors who do pony up and support the site. Stealth vendors suck up profits and give nothing back hurting MR. They are also spineless cowards IMO flaunting the site rules and stealing from the community.

But is a $20 donation going to stop them? Cant they be moderated and their accounts be banned? I understand they will just create a new one but, isnt that why we have mods? To constantly monitor these things? It seems the only way to eliminate this issue. Mods didnt sign up for this job just for the ultra cool little icon under their avatar.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
But is a $20 donation going to stop them? Cant they be moderated and their accounts be banned? I understand they will just create a new one but, isnt that why we have mods? To constantly monitor these things? It seems the only way to eliminate this issue. Mods didnt sign up for this job just for the ultra cool little icon under their avatar.

And you think that isn't what goes on vigilantly, daily? I'd venture to say mods spend more time defining what is, determining who is, and rooting out very persistent scumbags than anything else. I don't think a $20 donation would stop it and never said it would. A significant and substantial content post count would help a lot but that is a moderating nightmare in the making too.

As far as the Marketplace goes, I like the idea of splitting up livestock and equipment and prominent location identification is a good idea too. It makes no difference to me whether member or vendor listings come first.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
The mods VOLUNTEER to help the site run smoothly. We are all here every day for hours moderating. Then we try to help contribute to the site but sometimes dxon't have the time in the day to do this because we are cleaning up the vast number of posts and threads that need to be deleted or moved or approved etc.........

After being completed we check our pm's and answer those from the membership with complaints, personal issues from the forums and basic requests because of a mistake possibly made in a post and the member is asking for guidance or moderation help etc...............

After that we try to help and post in the forums. Unlike most members we don't have the luxury of marking everything read after we check the threads we want to, we read every post in every thread every day.

So yes we signed up for this the day we registered :tired:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: