• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

xxnonamexx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The photo is when I first installed it. The gauge has been corrected. I am not understanding the DI unit reconfiguration? I heard this was the correct way to install it. What is the vertical way going to do that this way doesn't? The water still needs to pass through it. The GAC the top white cartridge is doing nothing for me then? Thanks for your help and knowledge.

bigbris1

Re-reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
You mentioned a screw like adjuster? Where is that located? Thanks

Sorry, here's a shot of what I thought I saw on yours (turns out to be your on/off valve handle)

wMTMyMzAxODZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

Rating - 50%
1   1   0
The photo is when I first installed it. The gauge has been corrected. I am not understanding the DI unit reconfiguration? I heard this was the correct way to install it. What is the vertical way going to do that this way doesn't? The water still needs to pass through it. The GAC the top white cartridge is doing nothing for me then? Thanks for your help and knowledge.

RE theDI: I'm sure the way you have it installed is according to the directions that came with your system. Remember however that what you bought is not a system designed from the get-go for aquarium applications.

I had an entire page of information typed up here explaining in detail the problem with the horizontal configuration, but deleted it. Suffice it to say that you'll be better served by a larger, vertical DI cartridge. Gravity will work for you with a vertical configuration.

RE the last horizontal GAC taste and odor stage - realize that many who buy water purifications systems believe that "more stages" means a better product. Retailers see this perception and some look for ways to add stages at minimum cost. An inline GAC stage fits this bill.

When you run water through your DI stage the water will be as clean as your system can get it. Ask yourself "What is the purpose of the GAC stage after the DI resin?" Well, it serves to add a stage to the system, and it serves to make the system appear more complicated with more tubing/plumbing. Does it further purify the water? No. In fact it does the opposite.

Does it make DI water taste better for human consumption? Yes. However, you should be drinking RO water, not DI water. Why go to the expense of further purifying RO water with deionization only to then add tds back into the water with a later GAC stage?

I could go on and on...

So unless/until you get a larger refillable DI stage, you can take an interim step to help yourself. Get rid of the horzontal GAC after the DI, and mount your DI housing vertically so the water flows from the bottom up.

You can't imagine how many of those oddly configured ebay systems we've replumbed for aquarium applications over the years...

Russ @ BFS

Last edited:
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Very interesting. I thought my DI resin is a pretty large container. I will make the changes soon. WHat is your take on limiting the amount of waster water? Thanks

Hmm. Not real sure what you mean here. Your system should produce 3 to 5 times as much waste water as permeate. If you havve less waste water than than you will see the premature demise of your membrane. If your waster to permeate ratio is higher than 5:1 you are needlessly wasting water.

Russ @ BFS

xxnonamexx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every gallon of RO is roughly 4 gallons of waste. Suffice it to say that you'll be better served by a larger, vertical DI cartridge. When you stated a larger vertical cartridge I didn't understand b/c my cartridge is pretty big for the DI. You don't happen to have the article you wrote up about the horizontal unit. I am very interested to read the downfalls of horizontal RO systems. Thanks

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: