• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I went to new world for some test kits today and saw this little guy,
it was too cool I had to get him :inlove:

urchin.jpg

urchin2.jpg

the urchin likes to eat coraline, it spent the day cleaning a snail shell.
I had to give the snail a break and moved the urchin to a rock.

bonus shot
bluetips.jpg

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
thanks Russ, the sticker said it was from Sri Lanka

when i first placed it in the tank it got blown around like a tumble weed.

after a few seconds and some help from me it found it's grip :)

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
i saw those purple urchin last week at FT. dont know if they still have. also label from Sri Lanka. i don't want my coraline eaten yet so i didnt get one.your urchin probabably wondering "what the heck is this slippery bottom i can't get a grip of" LOL!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
be careful with those colorful urchins a lot can carry a serious venom. One of the other guys in the store brought in a couple of urchins while I was on vacation for a week ("because they looked nice") and they have a venom that starts off burning and just increases over a few hours to become excruciating. Try and get an ID on him asap. He is nice though gl.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
they have a venom that starts off burning and just increases over a few hours to become excruciating

ouch, that does not sound like fun. I do not think this urchin has poison, I already picked it up three times and fortunately did not experience excruciating pain. that's good info to know though for the future. If I ever have to handle the urchin again it will be with thick rubber gloves.

Russ, it's maybe 1.75" in diameter.

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
very nice looking urchin J beautiful pick, i like the purple spikes and its white/yellowish base very cool... awesome pictures :D

thepudge

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
They have a lot of cool little critters at new world right now, I saw some little green sanddollars there yesterday, a jellyfish (which I know is a no-no but is still cool to see flopping around) and the aforementioned urchins.

C

Chiefmcfuz

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
The urchin will move any unsecured rocks in the tank as it moves, it may also decorate itself with items in your tank includuding zoos, mushrooms and other corals. My friends wore a snail shell for a few weeks. Also most importantly going back to the first statement, it will move rocks and corals if they are not secure keep in mind that they are kind of like the ant of the marine world and can move items several times it's size and weight.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Jhale, i must have just missed you in new world. Went there for a new pump.

Ended up getting a Firefin Goby along with the pump=0( he is acclimating now.

They have ALOT of new cool and rare stuff in there. Alot of gobies and some goby/lobster pairs. Long nose shrimp. Wish the prices were more reasonable.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
B, so far he likes the glass. I've made sure all my frags and small colonies are secured well, thanks for the tip though. when i got him he had some kind of red macro algae wraped around him. I took it off and put it in the fuge.

Sand dollars? I missed them, I was just there yesterday also.

aaron thanks, I had not seen this type before, I really like the color scheme it's got, white and blue.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: