• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

what does your skimmate smell like

• Total voters

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
In the interest of science I thought this poll would help people new to the hobby judge how well their skimmers were working.

Please vote and discuss :bablefish

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
my skimmate stinks... i change it out every 2 days so it wont cause havic in my basement... dirty diaper smell :eek:

if i wasnt so lazy kalk or carbon could be added to the collection cup to reduce smell....

Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
a baby's diaper is supposed to be smellier than a sewage plant :confused:

okay good point, let me clarify.

I was thinking of the sewage plant as you drive by it on the west side highway, not if you went and spent the day there.

however, the baby's diaper is such a concentration of putrid smell that I do think it is worse than the sewage plant. I have seen men throw up from the smell of a diaper. if the sewage plant smelled like that on a daily basis there is no way people would work there, and it would have to be shut down.
I guess this is one limitation of the internet, you can't share smells yet.
Jon, pull my finger :lol:

ezee

Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
Hi all,

I think you have to have changed diapers for a while to understand how a baby's diaper smell can be worse than a sewage plant. Trust me, its no picnic.

E

Last edited:

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Funny Story - just yesterday

I cleaned out my Lifereef skimmer collection cup - been about a month since I have done it. There was a thick wall of nasty stuff on the riser tube that came off and into the basement sink (those who have been ther know the layout).

Of course I had to use hot water because it cleans better , right - well heat also rises and with it goes the smell.

I had the basement door closed and my wife came home, she called from upstairs (basement door closed) "What's that smell".

It traveled up the stairs into the house with the basement door closed.

Kill me now!

House

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
house brings up a good point, we should have named our skimmers.
i have a das ex-2.

I have to wait till no ones home to clean my skimmer cup.

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
euroreef es 53 and 52. stinky! wooohooo!

this thread reminds me of a guy on nano-reef that said his skimmate smelled like insence. apparently he was burning insence and i guess the air intake on the pump sucked up some of the insence smell. still hard to believe.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Funny Story - just yesterday

I cleaned out my Lifereef skimmer collection cup - been about a month since I have done it. There was a thick wall of nasty stuff on the riser tube that came off and into the basement sink (those who have been ther know the layout).

Of course I had to use hot water because it cleans better , right - well heat also rises and with it goes the smell.

I had the basement door closed and my wife came home, she called from upstairs (basement door closed) "What's that smell".

It traveled up the stairs into the house with the basement door closed.

Kill me now!

House

I have made the same mistake, using hot water to clean the collection cup. I now try to remember to use cold water at first, then use hot only when its needed to get the last of it.

Psycho graphic

Trouble Maker!
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
It must be from the many years of inhaling paint fumes, but skimmate does'nt smell all that bad to me, just dank and musty. When my tank crashed it smelled a lot worse. I am using a homebuilt airdriven skimmer that skims dry and produces a good amount of thick goo daily.

Now the smell of any SW algea makes me want to gag.

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I don't know what the skimmer smells like. The first time I tried to change the skimmer cup, I almost threw up. Now, B., my hero, changes the skimmer cup for me :flirt:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: