• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

danfish

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
in a poll taken that i saw in another forum most of the tanks had it at 1.025 and my tank is at 1.022 and that was only like 6% of people that voted, while 1.024 to 1.025 made up 62% of the poll. i though the gravity should be between 1.020 to 1.023 (thats what my deep six says ) am i too low? thx in advance.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
natural sea water SG varies around the world.
I think the average taken from reefs is 1.025.
that's why most people go with that number.

bigbris1

Re-reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I don't pay too much attention to sg except when I'm mixing for a wc I try to hit it around 1.026.

What's more important than the sg is stability. Keep the sg stable & you will have success.

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Bris,
You're dead wrong. Salinity is VERY important when it comes to inverts. the animals we keep have a 'target' salinity. Ever try keeping a shrimp in 1.021? It's fine for fish but the shrimp dies.

Dan, deep six that hydrometer. Chances are it's very inacurate anyhow. Get yourself a refractometer and calibrate it. Then you'll know exactly what your reading is.

When doing a water change, I shoot for EXACTLY what my tank is at. which is exactly 1.024

B

bigbris1

Re-reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
BC, my post was to imply as long as one were within acceptable parameters for what they're keeping. To illustrate, keeping a stable sg of 1.000 or 1.060 would not intail success.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I know a lot of very established wholesalers (even here on the island) and they keep most of their fish in 1.010 and maintain copper in the FO systems. Obviously the copper and SG sensitive fish are kept in a seperate system. Fish are able adapt and do well in much lower salinity than the inverts we keep as reefers.

Pseudo

OG Member
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
1.024-1.026 is the range for Reef Aquariums...

Everything else is crap. Refractometer is the best piece of equipment that is still cheap. Save a coral life and get one.

Jeez a simple question turned into a debate.

Kasei

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: