• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Any of you guys know anything about these? I can see where they would be great for small tanks. But I was wondering if I could use like 3 of them on a 6' tank.

sys_k2_viper1.jpg

sys_k2_viper2.jpg

sys_k2_viper3.jpg

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...y_Code=JBJ-halide&DEN_CRVM_Add=1#DEN_CRVM_Add

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
182   0   0
how much would 3 of them cost you ?

k ,i searched it ,they are $200 for the 150w and $150 for the 70 watts

Im not the expert with lighting .but im pretty sure that you would need 250w lights at leeast to get PAR to the bottom of you tank

Plus with the small reflextors you might get shaded areas in your tank ,JMO

only reason i say this ,is cuz i see your starting to buy some SPS ,they need light:D

Last edited:

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
i think these are no good fo a 6' tank. these things look like there made for nanos. remember that with that size reflector the light would not be distributed wide enough for a 6' tank with 2 pendents. also if the light had a wider spread you could go with the 150w but any sps and maybe clams you house may need to be minimum of mid to high of tank assuming that the tank is 24: high

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
they are made to reflect the light no more than 20" from the bottom of the light. made for nano's. 20' from the bottom and the last 4 inches of light are just barely enough to light a clam, and your light is at least 4-6 inches off the top of the water, so do the math.

Heard good and bad things about these, alot of the things i hear is that they aren;t worth getting for anything over 12g because of the height the light needs to be off the water. Better to just build your own pendant for the price.

Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thanks guys. You have all voice the same opinions I had, but I just wanted to be absolutely sure. The only thing I really liked about them was the "clamp on feature". No hood would have been nice. I have a really nice cofferd ceiling so I don't want to hang anything from it. And I don't want to get rid of my friends hood, and I was thinking of adding MH. Not sure as what to do. I may just add my vho back. I only have 6" to work with.
"only reason i say this ,is cuz i see your starting to buy some SPS ,they need light:D"

OK Deep, who spilled the beans:Thinking: ? I couldn't resist the temptation, its all the way on the very top of the rocks.:D

C

Chiefmcfuz

Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Coralife makes a clip on unit as well that I think is better for larger tanks, You can modify your friends hood to accept MH lights or if you have a hard time with it someone here could help you do it as well.

DonCisco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yeah those lights are made specifically for nanos (like myself). Once you have a deep enough tank, you are not going to be served right by this light. Myself... I got a pendant 150MH for my nano, wanna see how well I can cook, lol

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
It was only a thought. I'm not really interested in the sps, except for the caps. I really prefer to keep lps, softies, leathers etc.... I'm afraid of MH and all their heat. I think MH would be too much for what I really want to keep.
Thanks Brendan, when the time comes I will post it here. (You never know what tomorrow may bring). I know MR people are great, and help is always just around the corner.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
182   0   0
If you are looking toget a 6ft fixture ,give a call i see what i can to get a good price ,maybe 3 x 175 MH and 2 vhos or 2 pcs

for a bit more then the 3 unit ,you can get something decent

Ronen

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: